dhill les gets

sado1
sado1 Posts: 12
edited February 2009 in MTB general
hi,going to les gets in july,need to know best way to transport bikes.heard about bike bags,where do you get them from?which are best for heavy dhill bikes?any other info in general?thanks

Comments

• Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Bike box (the ones used to deliver bikes) inside a bike bag, gives more protection.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/racing/art ... acking-854
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I got a CRC one, from CRC! They seem to be perminately on sale at 20% 40% off. I was just about long enough for my Shocker, but I had to take the riser off with the bars and squeez it a bit to get the zip to shut. My top tips would be to beg, borrow or steal an old front hub to fit (sans rim and spokes of course) and brace the forks incase it looks like a nice step for a luggage monkey. Take off the rotors and stick 2p's between the pads on the brakes.

I've seen people use bike boxes with no problems, but I know BA insist on a proper bike bag.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Brand X do a good but cheap bag CRC sell them
  • I just posted this on another thread but its answering the same question really.

Get a decent bike bag, get some decent bubble wrap, get an old broom handle, measure the distance between your fork legs and chainstays, cut the broom handle to those two sizes, get some wood screws and washers, brace your fork legs and chainstays with the wood, deflate your air shock (if you have one), wrap your bike in bubblewrap, put it in the bike bag, chuck in a couple of inner tubes and maybe a chain, remove your wheel skewers, deflate your tyres, stick the wheels in either the wheel bags or the pockets in the bike bag with the discs to the inside, zip the bag closed, lock it, walk to the fridge, open the fridge, grab a beer, close the fridge, open the beer, sit in a comfy chair, drink the beer, relax - you're now sorted.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Aven ... -14059.htm

I'm off to Morzine in July with my mates and this is the bag I got.
    SJS Cycles show it as being £65 inc delivery, but they also sell them via ebay.
    I managed to pick one up via their ebay shop for £43 inc delivery.

You'll pay an extra £35 to Easyjet to take the bike. This ups your baggage limitation from 20kg to 35kg, which, given that your bike in its bag will weigh at least 20kg, means that you'll have to pack creatively!
  • PS - Remember to sort out accident and injury insurance cover before you go, it'll cost around £20.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    P-Jay - Glad you mentioned that. I've always ujsed the cardboard box method myself but am most likely flying with BA to Alps in summer and so will look into investing in a bike bag.
  • It is def worth having a proper bike bag if you can. The only real problems we've had from people arriving with bikes is when they're in a box. If the cardboard rips (which it does a little quite often) anything loose can fall out. It's happened to a couple of our guests so i'd definitely say that if you can afford and store a bag it's worth the investment. that's said, it's still only a v small percentage of people coming out with bikes in boxes that have had any trouble.

This is what BA have to say:
    How to pack sporting equipment

Equipment must be packed in a travel case specifically designed for that piece of equipment.
    One piece of sporting equipment should weigh no more than 23kg* and should not exceed the dimensions (H+W+L): 158cm (62in).
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    It is def worth having a proper bike bag if you can. The only real problems we've had from people arriving with bikes is when they're in a box. If the cardboard rips (which it does a little quite often) anything loose can fall out. It's happened to a couple of our guests so i'd definitely say that if you can afford and store a bag it's worth the investment. that's said, it's still only a v small percentage of people coming out with bikes in boxes that have had any trouble.

This is what BA have to say:
    How to pack sporting equipment

Equipment must be packed in a travel case specifically designed for that piece of equipment.
    One piece of sporting equipment should weigh no more than 23kg* and should not exceed the dimensions (H+W+L): 158cm (62in).

Word. Last year they went up to 32Kgs free of charge (until Nov) from now on there's a fee to take it up to 42Kgs, which is handy when you've got a 20Kgs DH bike and a 6Kgs bike bag....
  • Yep £25 if it weighs more than 23kg. Seems a little harsh! We've got round weight limits by packing bits of bike in with clothes. makes for a fun packing session!
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i use a propper bike bag. i got the ultra sport one off crc quality bit of kit.

i use pipe lagging on my bike frame to protect it while in transit. i cover every bit of the bike with lagging and zip tie it in place, i zip tie the bars to the fame again covered in pipe lagging, if you look on the airline website it will give you information on their reqiurements for carrying bikes...