Advice on storage

siobhan_kos
siobhan_kos Posts: 11
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
Thinking about buying a new bike. Got mine nicked about 18 months ago a miss it loads however I have no where to store it. Anyone got any clever storage ideas?

Comments

• KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    I bought a so called bike store from B&Q to go in my back yard. When I got it home and constructed I found it will only store your bike if you take the wheels off, which is a pain. More annoyingly they now do a proper bike shed thing in wood with double doors that would take a decent padlock for about 100 quid. So in answer to the question, if you have a yard, get one of these!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    In the house. Nowhere else is good enough for mine!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    I wouldnt trust a wooden shed, a thief could lever the clasp off in no time if moderately well prepared. House for me.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Mine is in the shed which is not ideal,I have locked it to a heavy set of ladders so at least it will take them longer to get it loose,I am thinking of getting an alarm for the door too !!
    In the house is by far the best option but we just dont have the room :(
  • just clean it and keep it inside your house
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Hey,

I have recently moved house and have found that there is absolutely no room for my bike in inside, at the same time I found no space for an old IKEA futon frame. So in the name of being broke and killing two birds with one stone; I built myself a bike shelter using the futon frame, my existing garden fences, some tarporlin, a hammer and nails. Here is a picture of the shelter behind my Pinnacle:

my%20pinnacle%20smaller.jpg

Oh and possibly the most important part; the black metal railing which is cemented into the yard and is perfect to secure both bikes to.

Of course, building one of these without first having the futon to use would have cost me £90 and a prper shelter would cost less I believe.

It took a little while to build and a few alterations after strong wind and heavy rain but it seems to be doing a great job of protecting both of our bikes.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Under the stairs, but don't try the bedroom
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • I too have the bike in the house, I've lost 3 bikes over 5 years from the shed with varying levels of security which hasn't had any effect - I currently have a pretty heavy-duty steel frame bolted to the inside of the shed which can then have the bike locked to it - last bike I'd dumped in the shed and forgot to lock it up when it went. grr. I despise thieves, I also have one of these http://www.dgsecurity.co.uk/Shed.htm#shed which seems to have deterred any further break in attempts but the bike is still in the house as I just can't be arsed with taking the risk anymore, it is a pain having to clean everytime etc but this is good for the bike anyway! and not constantly worrying about the shed outweighs the pain of having the bike in the hallway! It goes in the cupboard under the stairs when it's tidy but more often than not it's in the hall.
    GT Aggressor XCR
  • In the house is definitely the best bet. Keeps it safe, and less damp than sheds/garage, so it won't rust when just sat there.

If you're worried about keeping the house clean, what about one of these:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=10423&f_FullProductVersion=1

Just saw them on the website yesterdat, and am tempted by one myself.
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    I've got a couple of these to hang the bikes on:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/del ... t-ec009787

still in the house but at least gets them off the floor and a bit more out of the way.

I also cut a hole in the back on one of those plastic B&Q sheds, bolted a motorcycle anchor to the brick wall behind it (thankfully the anchor lined up with the hole) then locked the 'cheap' bike to the anchor in the shed. So far so good. But I still wouldn't leave the nice bikes out there.

Good luck!
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    We've got a couple of the Delta stands from here:

http://www.bikecare.co.uk/acc/cyclestands.html#top

Not cheap but they work fine and don't require any drilling into the wall.

dzdvmo.jpg

1fhf2u.jpg
  • ^ wall art, I love it !
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    That looks awesome !
  • That is awesome!!!

I keep 4 bikes in my bedroom, just put a cheap tarpaulin (sp) down to stop any mud/grime and something to protect the wall. If you're only looking to store one, undo the stem pinch bolts and it should slide under the bed.

Alternatively they normally will fit in a wardrobe :twisted:
  • timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    KonaMike wrote:
    That looks awesome !

Thanks! Unfortunately they are in a rather a narrow hallway so a) there isn't any room to stand back and admire them and b) it a bit of a bugger when you have to squeeze past them with armfuls of shopping!
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    I keep mine in my room at the moment, good to have so you can therapeutically clean it and look at it whenever you like. :D
  • dave_hill wrote:
    In the house. Nowhere else is good enough for mine!!

Mine is quite at home in my kitchen!
  • Kiblams
    With the snow today I am beginning to wish my bike was in the kitchen, One thing that I havent been able to test the shelter with previously is snow.

Roll on 6pm when I can get home to check it is still standing...
  • Cubs
    Cubs Posts: 12
    I can't get over how many of you keep your bike(s) in your house. My wife would kill me if I even suggested such a thing. In fact, after a days riding I'm lucky if I'm allowed in the house.
    My bike's keep in the garage.

Oh and new to the forum so, Hi everyone.
  • I cant believe how many people dont store their bikes inside :D
    Ive got a big shed in a low crime area but thats one of the few things I wont negotiate on- my bike lives indoors. She doesnt even moan about it anymore.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I live in a fully carpeted flat and have no outdoor hose - making it hard to get my bike really clean - so keeping it indoors isn't really an option. I've got a garage, but I really want to get a wall bracket in there just in case...
  • I am seriously considering getting a suitable ground anchor and motor cycle chain to secure a couple of my bikes outside. I've seen some deals where you can get a Sold Secure ground anchor and 1.5m motor cycle lock for about £70. Then I would lock 2 of my bikes outside of the kitchen door under a security light. I have also been considering a bike shed but I'm not sure if that would add security.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I used to keep my motorbike in the house but that's another story...! :D

Seriously though, I'm really surprised at how many of you let yourselves get railroaded by She Who Thinks She's Being Obeyed.

I'm sorry ladies, but if I've spent the best part of a month's wages on my bike, there's no way that it's living outside, even in a garage or shed. End of, no arguments. I doubt that you'd like it if I made you keep your best frock/shoes/handbag in the shed would you? No. Well then.

FFS fellas, grow a pair. The bike lives in the house. It's as much part of the family as the dog or the kids.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mine is in the garage... Frankly if anyone goes to the hassle of breaking in there, I've got more to worry about than the mountain bike... Few grand's worth of tools, my motorbike, my mate's GSXR and enough spare parts to build another motorbike out of parts :lol: But it's a pretty secure garage- the front door is so badly fitted into the wall that if anyone pulls the handle, it falls on top of them.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • My problem is that even I don't want all my bikes in the house. At the moment there are 4 in the house and 1 outside. The titanium road bike is in the kitchen, the MTB is in the hall, the fixed-wheel conversion project (almost finished, been saying that for 4 years) and the road bike-to-TT bike conversion are under the stairs. The kid mobile (cheap MTB with child seat on the back) is outside getting rusty. My wife wanted me to bring it in but I said no. The more rust it has the less likely it is to get stolen.

With a suitable anchor and chain I could secure the two works-in-progress outside, along with whatever bike I happen to be commuting on. I really need to figure out a way to protect the better bikes from the elements. I've had two bike covers shredded by the wind so a bike shed or a small tarp might work.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • haha, after a muddy winter ride she won't even allow me in the house, after I've hosed the bike down I have to strip to my undies before I can step inside.

I should have spent more on the new bike and less on the new kitchen, dam !
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    Keep my Scott and girlfriends Scott in the kitchen and the Trek in the hallway.

House is for sale though and had 1st viewings in 11 months this week, so have banished them all to the integral garage. My poor car is not liking been out in the cold!! :lol:

Do like having more space in the house, but rather keep the bikes safe indoors and my car out of sight too.
  • Exactly, I'm looking for a sensible way to store them inside, the wall leaning rack looks good... Might pick up a couple or build a ceiling rack...
  • Kiblams
    I realy envy your guys with garages and enough space within the house to put your bikes, is one of the down sides to living in a victorian terrace with no drive or garage.

I can see no problem with keeping the bikes in the garden as long as; 1) they are sheltered from the weather, and 2) they have something very secure such as the motorbike anchors that have been discussed here to ensure that theives have to go to great lengths to steal the bikes.

The way I see it is if a theif needs to have an extensive number of tools and is likely to make a lot of noise to steal the bikes, they may as well be breaking into your back door where they can wheel out the "secure" bikes in the hallway of your house.

I may however be deluding myself into being able to sleep at night... :P
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Kiblams wrote:
    I realy envy your guys with garages and enough space within the house to put your bikes, is one of the down sides to living in a victorian terrace with no drive or garage.

Friends of mine are in that boat... They converted the front room into the garage and keep their ducati in it :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist