Rusting bolts

hulabalooza
hulabalooza Posts: 52
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
I have just bought a new saracen zen 2 and have already noticed the insides of some bolts rusting. I was wondering how to prevent this. Would spraying some WD-40 into the bolts help or is there anything else I can do
Thanks

Comments

• RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    Pretty much yeah. Whenever I clean my bike I just spray a bit of GT85 or WD40 in the bolt heads to drive out any moisture which stops that happening. If the rust is a liitle worse just put a drop of oil in the bolt head
  • Or swap them for some Stainless steel, aluminium or titanuim bolts :wink:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    All manufacturers scrimp and use cheap bolts.Just change them to stainless if it bothers you(it does me)
  • Whereabouts can you get stainless bolts?
    Thanks for the repies
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    take your bolts to BnQ or your local hardware store and have them match them for you. the threading is different on some botls and that may not be compatible with your bike.
  • Chilesy
    Chilesy Posts: 152
    I was told a few years ago to take the rusty bolts off and soak them in 3 in 1 oil ,Did this a couple of times and worked well,Then dab 3 in 1 on bolt heads from time to time and keep fresh ,I use a cotton bud to get in to the head
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    take your bolts to BnQ or your local hardware store and have them match them for you. the threading is different on some botls and that may not be compatible with your bike.
    Most bolts(all really)on Mountain bikes are metric now so the threads are exactly the same.A stem bolt for instance may be an M4(4mmallen head) the threads will be the same on all M4 bolts,lengths may differ threads will only differ if you get imperial as opposed to metric.B&Q sell them but a good old local hardware store will sell you them a few at a time instead of having to buy say a bag of 20.
    Just make sure you get the right size.Its generally stamped on the head.