Brake pad rub on hayes 9

owen_MTB
owen_MTB Posts: 222
edited January 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently changed my brake pads in my front calipers on my kona stinky but ever since, they have rubbed. Its mainly the outside of the rotor rubbing on the pad so i believe i have to move the caliper further out away from the rotor? But i cant haha. Any ideas?
It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Hayes 9s can be pretty finicky when you fit new pads.

Take the caliper off, remove the pads and reset the pistons. You'll find that you have to hold the pistons back in the caliper for a fair old while whislt the pressure in the system equalises.

An alternative is to get a thin piece of steel or plastic (thin enought o fit between the pads but thciker than your disc), lever it in between the pads and leave it overnight.

Once you've done this, refit the pads if you removed them and refit the caliper. Centre it over the disc as per usual and you should be somewhere near.

Once you've done this a few good hard stops should get you back to normal.

The type of pads that you fit can also make a difference. I once tried Fibrax pads and they were so thick I actually could get the disc between them even with the pistons fully retracted!! I only ever use Goodridge sintered now with no problems.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic