Rear tyre direction

merlie
merlie Posts: 276
edited February 2009 in MTB general
for some reason my mate laughs when he see's that I;ve apparently fitted the tyre pointing the wrong direction ... but it says so on the tyre wall - am i missing something ?

Comments

• lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    As far as i understand sometimes it can be an advantage to reverse the rear tyre, i run High rollers and the rear is fitted in the oposite direction the idea being it wil get better traction when under power.
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    No,

Different tyres run different ways, some are same direction front and back, others, such as Panaracer fire XC`s, run one way on the front and the other way on the back. Depends on the tyre.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some do work best for some people the 'wrong' way round. Try it.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited January 2009
    Yep, I run my rear nevegal "wrrong way round" when it's muddy- it loses grip over rocks etc, and it's noticably draggier, but it gives more grip for showing through mud. Obviously, like everyone else, I discovered this by accidentally fitting it the wrong way round.

When you think about it, it makes sense- you want the most grip from the front on the brakes, and in turns, while with the rear you want the most grip on the power.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    I always run swamp things the wrong way round.

tell yourmate he should spend more time watching his tires.
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    Dont they have a direction arrow on the tire wall for all the numptys!?...lol
  • supersonic
    Some have direction arrows. But some find better results the other way.

Would you know whhich way it was designed without arrows? They vary a lot!
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Maxxis tyres often roll better when they are put on the 'wrong' way
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • if you look at high rollers they have centre knobs which taper away at the back if fitted the correct way, the front has a sharp edge to grab at the ground under braking.

This is why i fit the back in the oposite direction so the sharp edge is grabbing at the ground when i pushing hard.
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    supersonic wrote:

Well, yes, pretty much!
  • its easier with some tires because the treads point in the forward direction, but with spikes and semi's its almost impossible.

and it doesnt really matter in any case.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Once offroad, rolling resistance isn't really affected, braking and accelerating tracktion may be though.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • once, i ran my rear in the wrong direction.... and it was destroyed in less than a week.
    m-trax ti 1000- back when i was rubbish.
    evo 8 - i am continuing to be rubbish.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dunno if tyre direction is noticeable - but brake block direction on rim brakes is.

LBS fitted my mates back to front. He just couldnt stop on a descent and had to ditch it in a hedge. Across the other side of a road. V funny to watch !
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Basically if the front tyre has any kind of 'V' or 'U' pattern in the tread blocks, the open end of the 'V' or 'U' goes in the direction of travel. The rear tyre goes the other way round.
  • supersonic
    Soggz wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Well, yes, pretty much!

Some contis are counter intuitive. But if it works, it works.