Lost my Mojo !

KonaMike
KonaMike Posts: 805
edited February 2009 in MTB general
Now I dont consider myself anything other than an average rider,I have been riding on and off for the last 18 years and really enjoy the sport !

On Sunday however something strange happened,the MTB gods decided to take away my already limited ability altogether !! I managed to stay upright all the way around the Cwmcarn XC course but I was totally out classed by my mate who had to wait for me on several occasions :(

To make matters worse it was my first time out with my new Helmet camera which has recorded all of my terrible line choices,near misses,coughing and swearing. My poor mate was so far ahead of me that he doesn't feature once on the hour of footage :oops:

Anyone else ever had an off day like this ....... i'm so ashamed :oops:

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Yes. Don't worry about it - last time I had a do like that I ended up with a snotty cold, so it could just be that you're coming down with man-flu.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • KonaMike
    Thats sounds like a great excuse ! Thanks !! I've been getting stick from my mate all week about it,I'm turning 34 next week and his theory is I'm past it :roll:
  • joe1983
    joe1983 Posts: 440
    I had a shocker this morning for some reason - and I'm only 25!
  • Well I'm incredible in almost every situation, so it must be the hard water down south or someting.

Joe.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Practice makes perfect, use the footage and see how you can improve.
    At least you hve someone to ride with
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • I think what makes it worse is that you get frustrated with yourself which makes you ride worse.

I had this on my last night time ride, couldn't find a rhythem and it pissed me off that I should of been enjoying myself but wasn't.

You're will find your mojo again, its probably behind the fridge :wink:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    we all get off days :? me and my mates race each other once a week and i don't usually come last infact i usually come first but this week i took bad lines and wimped out on some sections slipped up twice! and came last!

luckily it was out of 3 and i managed to pull back with a 1st and 2nd making me 1st overall. Moral is to analyze what went wrong and why you thought it did and work on it! and above all go out riding again to bring your spirit up again :)
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    We all get those days i had one at dalby last year with my mate just totally blew up and had nothing left in the tank for last 6 miles not like me at all :( , messed with my head all week till went back the next week and flew round it all as normal :D
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I lost mine for nearly 6 months, a series of crashes on my Xc and DH bike, felt like I couldn't even throw my leg over the bike properly. Had my mates worried because I got to crossroads with it really. I'd lost faith in my ability and my DH bike, and you know what it like, you stiffen up and start snatching brakes and sure enough you'll bin it again. I was going to sell it and stop all the nutty bike centre riding and traveling the country hitting trails on my 6" and just ride around the local woods and nature reserve place now and again.

Just snapped out of it one day, got up and it was pissing down as usual and my riding buddy I was going out for the day with couldn't make it so I rode a fave trail on mine on my own with MP3 on, soon enough the flow came back, I was nailing every rock, every jump, bend and drop and asking to pass a big group of riders one at a time. I don't remember hitting the brakes all the way down the final descent.

I found the best way to get out of a deep funk is to try something new, hit a nrew trail that you don't know so you don't expect yourself to hit every thing bang on and just forget about speed and roll down looking for fun things to hit and regain your flow. Back to basics if you will.
  • KonaMike
    P-Jay wrote:
    I lost mine for nearly 6 months, a series of crashes on my Xc and DH bike, felt like I couldn't even throw my leg over the bike properly. Had my mates worried because I got to crossroads with it really. I'd lost faith in my ability and my DH bike, and you know what it like, you stiffen up and start snatching brakes and sure enough you'll bin it again. I was going to sell it and stop all the nutty bike centre riding and traveling the country hitting trails on my 6" and just ride around the local woods and nature reserve place now and again.

Just snapped out of it one day, got up and it was pissing down as usual and my riding buddy I was going out for the day with couldn't make it so I rode a fave trail on mine on my own with MP3 on, soon enough the flow came back, I was nailing every rock, every jump, bend and drop and asking to pass a big group of riders one at a time. I don't remember hitting the brakes all the way down the final descent.

I found the best way to get out of a deep funk is to try something new, hit a nrew trail that you don't know so you don't expect yourself to hit every thing bang on and just forget about speed and roll down looking for fun things to hit and regain your flow. Back to basics if you will.

I did have a bit of an off on my last trip to Cwmcarn so I bought some shin/knee guards to boost my confidence a bit,despite this I was quite edgy and definately over braking!!
    Cwmcarn is my local so maybe I will try a new trail as you say,we have been talking about trying the Forest of Dean for the last 6 months ! Might try my MP3 too :)

Glad I'm not the only one this has happened to :D
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    KonaMike wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:

I did have a bit of an off on my last trip to Cwmcarn so I bought some shin/knee guards to boost my confidence a bit,despite this I was quite edgy and definately over braking!!
    Cwmcarn is my local so maybe I will try a new trail as you say,we have been talking about trying the Forest of Dean for the last 6 months ! Might try my MP3 too :)

Glad I'm not the only one this has happened to :D

Just got back from Cwmcarn as it goes! Shame the FR was closed, and half of the next bit! But the new stuff on the final descent and that drop was great!

Chin up!! Have you tried Brecfa? THAT'S a smile inducing trail!
  • KonaMike
    The freeride and the section after it was closed last weekend too! I havent tried Brecfa,thanks for the tip !!
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    i had a terrible ride last week. nothing seemed to go right. I chose the wrong gears, the wrong lines, grabbed the brakes for nothing, couldnt get into a rhythm and so on.

I reckon you lose something when the first thing goes wrong and you never recover from it, so i have decided that if I make aserious mistake Im going to cancel that ride, sit down for 5 minutes and set off on a new one.
  • KonaMike
    i had a terrible ride last week. nothing seemed to go right. I chose the wrong gears, the wrong lines, grabbed the brakes for nothing, couldnt get into a rhythm and so on.

I reckon you lose something when the first thing goes wrong and you never recover from it, so i have decided that if I make aserious mistake Im going to cancel that ride, sit down for 5 minutes and set off on a new one.

Its good to know that even Jesus has bad days ! :)
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Maybe you stage fright because you were on camera?

Not unusual to have an off day though, especially at this time of year. Just get straight back on the bike, as they say.
  • sorry have to but in and say thats a criminal use of the term 'deep funk' :)
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    P-Jay wrote:

Im with this guy on this one! Ive recently got back into it after smashing my arm up pretty bad,and am now relishing every peddle turn! The cold wet weathers not stopping me and im even taking days off just to feul my enthusiasm !

Just crack on, it'll come back to you!...It has for me!
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    KonaMike wrote:
    The freeride and the section after it was closed last weekend too! I havent tried Brecfa,thanks for the tip !!
    The black is still closed at Brechfa.
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!