Which Replacement Chorus Ultra Drive EPS (2008) Chain Rings?

ClintC
ClintC Posts: 48
edited January 2009 in Workshop
Hi Guys

Looking for some guidance on replacement chain rings for my 2008 Campag Chorus chainset.

In short, I currently have a Campag 2008 group set and have found that on cleaning the chain set recently, that my Chorus Ultra Drive EPS Chain Rings (39/53) have the titanium oxide coating peeling and flaking away!

This surely isn’t normal wear and tear, or as designed, and definitely isn’t the quality that I have come to expect from Campaign over the years.

As such, it is not only unexpected but has resulted in the rings looking rather shabby so I have decided to get some replacements. Once I have the new ones, I will send the originals off to the Campag Service Centre for inspection, and hopefully replacement under the warranty scheme.

Of note, the group set was originally purchased back in February 2008 so isn’t very old at all, nor has it seen excessive miles, roughly about 3750 miles in total.

On browsing the net, I have come across the following options:

Campag replacement 39/53 Chorus chain rings (2007 version) - £80 for the set.

Campag Ultra Drive EPS (2008) Chain Rings- Unfortunately I have been advised that due to the Euro exchange rate at present the 2008 replacement versions currently cost £139 which is rather expensive for what they are!

Complete new Campag Chorus Chainset - £160 from GB Cycles - http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci ... E+CHAINSET

Stronglight - from Dotbike - http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP5057.as ... RACK%3dDDI

TA - Parker international - http://www.parker-international.co.uk/9 ... nring.html

Control Tech - from Chain Reactions - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24152

Not sure if I have missed any off, so would be grateful for any advise\pointers recieved.
Ride it like you stole it

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The chainring bolt pattern on UltraTorque chainsets is different from standard Campagolo 135mm 5-arm - some of the other options might not fit and you need to check compatibility. There are some TA ones available - try Chicken Cycles website for info. You can probably buy a chainset for the same price. I'm not sure whether chainring wear would be a valid warranty claim either unless it was low mileage.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I was under the impression that 135mm UT chainrings are the same as normal 135mm chainrings - it's only the UT compacts that have dodgy BCDs.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ClintC
    ClintC Posts: 48
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I'm not sure whether chainring wear would be a valid warranty claim either unless it was low mileage.

I understand totally where you are coming from but the literature states that the anodization treatment for the chainrings is supposed to make them suitable for the toughest and most extreme competitive use, so fail to see how 3750 miles of ametuer riding can be classified as normal chainring wear and as such void a warranty claim!

Either way, I am not happy with the quality and will be trying to get them replaced. My old Centaur chainrings are still going strong on my training bike after many more miles, so I fail to see how the top end stuff with extra coatings fails so much quicker:-(
    Ride it like you stole it
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    If you want the best go for TA, not cheap and prices are rising rapidly.
    TA make rings for just about and PCD going
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    I was under the impression that 135mm UT chainrings are the same as normal 135mm chainrings - it's only the UT compacts that have dodgy BCDs.

Indeed...it was the carbon compacts that required the offset 110mm BCD, then when UT came in both alloy and carbon compacts required the offset 110mm BCD.

I have in the past bought new cranks (non UT) from GB Cycles as that has been the cheapest way to get 3 replacement rings for my Record triple crank (with the fancy coated rings).
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano