Best cassette and chain to go for?

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited January 2009 in MTB buying advice
Looking around (and watching price rises), wondering which cassette and chain to go for here... I'm about to replace the crankset too (SLX) and the shifters etc are X9. As far as I can tell, you can chop and change freely here, is that right? No particular reason to use, say, SRAM chain on a SRAM cassette.

I like light... But I also like long-lasting and good shifting. I've no objection to paying a little more for something that lasts longer, and I do look after my chain etc- full clean and lube after every ride, usually off the bike. I suppose my priorities are in this order- good shifting, long lasting, light weight, cheap. But I have an absolute limit of £55 and I'd sooner spend less.

Sooooooo... Any best choices here? Any to avoid?

Cassettes: Really looking at the following

XT, £40 just about everywhere, can get XT chain too for £55
SLX, £30 or £40 with SLX chain

SRAM seems to be heavier... And there doesn't seem to be all that much difference between 970, 980 and 990, unless some are tougher or shift better than the others?

If I go with Merlin, then most of these have a "with chain" option for £10-£15 more, is it worth considering a different chain?

Standalone chain:

KMC X9 SL has great reviews, and is very light. £27
SRAM chains range in price, but not much in weight... Performance, I have no idea. Is it worth lashing out for the 991 compared to the 971 or even 951? £12 to £23
Likewise Shimano ones.

I know these weight differences are all pretty marginal, we're talking at most 100g on cassettes and probably half that on chains, but it's not that expensive to change between these models after all...
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I tend to go for an XT cassette with a SRAM chain (991's atm but only because of a cheap deal). Generally the more expensive chains/cassettes also last a bit longer rather than just being all about weight saving. KMC chains are nice to (personally I've not had any issues with Shimano chains either although you do need to factor in buying a powerlink for convenience).
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I just bought the KMC X9L from ebay for 19.95 inc. delivery, lightest besides the sl.
    Mine is 276 gr

I am getting the XT cassette as well, as thats light and heard shimano makes good cassettes.
  • The woollyhatshop have got an XT cassette and chain for £40 atm cos I just ordered one.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    nferrar wrote:
    I tend to go for an XT cassette with a SRAM chain

+1 for that. Shimano MTB chains aren't the best so I go for Sram 991 every time.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • tompug
    tompug Posts: 227
    I've been running the cheapest shimano hg-53 chain for almost 6 months after my sram pc991 snapped after the second ride out. Not to say sram are crap, I assume it was the shops incorrect fitting. My point being is I don't think the more expensive chains are worth it if you maintain the chain properly.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    SRAM PG990 cassette

the one with the red alu spider. Light as hell and shifts great
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Shimano XT cassette with a KMC X9.93 chain.

You can get them both from Dave Hinde, he has the XT cassettes at around £35 and the chains are about £17, they were when I bought mine anyway
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I have new X-9 shifters, a SRAM 970 cassette and a SRAM 971 chain running with an triple SLX chainset and using XTR cables.

The shifting is flawless, the crank is brilliant.
  • I currently use an XT cassette and last 2 chains have been SRAM 991.
    The 991 are fully plated so tend to stay rust free for longer,971 has plated outer links so still good,951 is not plated on inner or outer.
    I prefer the SRAM chains for the convenience of the powerlink,but Shimano tend to be cheaper and shift aswell if not better.Shimano cassettes were cheaper and lighter but I think most of the price difference has been eradicated by the recent Shimano price hike.A 980 or 990 is now a similar price to XT.
    Next time I need a cassette I might be tempted to try SLX given that XT is now substatially more,and the SLX has an alloy carrier so I doubt weighs much more than XT while still being lighter than Deore or SRAM 950.
    Wollyhatshop has good deals on cassettes and chains,at the moment.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • "Wollyhatshop has good deals on cassettes and chains,at the moment."

Yep ebay shop Wooly Hat Shop definitelty to be recommended for good price and fast service on things like blocks and chains.
    aspra nella virtu', dolce nel sacrificio
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Currently run an xt cassette with a 991 chain, but my next chain will be a KNC XL9SL methinks.
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    ednino wrote:
    SRAM PG990 cassette

the one with the red alu spider. Light as hell and shifts great

Seconded - i'm running this cassette with a 991 chain and have had no problems. Cassette is really light and tough - and bling! I think there's a 991 hollow-link chain (or something) which i assume would save you some weight.
  • I've got the XT cassette and the X9SL chain from Merlin, works fine together and with the discounts I didn't really bother looking at anything else.
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • Northwind
    990 is nice but out of my range I think. Looks like XT or SLX is the winner, still to choose a chain but that's an easier choice. Oh, Dave Hinde might be the devil, but he still has some shimano kit at pre-rise prices- so I think I'll be going there, but using my credit card to get the purchase protection!

These price rises are frustrating, if you use google for prices they're all out of date :roll:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Merlin were doing an offer if you bought the 990 cassette and 991 chain as a package - not sure if it's still on - think i paid about £55 all in - that was a few months ago now though.
  • KMC chains also come with a "power link" and are very hard wearing. XT cassette and KMC chain for me.
  • Northwind
    adb1006 wrote:
    Merlin were doing an offer if you bought the 990 cassette and 991 chain as a package - not sure if it's still on - think i paid about £55 all in - that was a few months ago now though.

Yeah, £67.50 now :( I nearly bought one back when it was £55 as well. Never mind.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo