Hi everyone, newbie with a dilemma

erniestiller
erniestiller Posts: 10
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi, i'm Darren from the south east of england, I'm nearly 40 and looking into getting a bike for the first time. I've got a dodgy knee so running is out of the question so i'm quite keen on getting into cycling.
I'm probably going to do some routes on road to start with and a 3 mile commute, but i'd like to think that i'd be enthusiastic enough to go on a few off road trails.

I'm trying to make up my mind on two bikes that i've seen and was wondering if you guys could advise on the best one.

1, GT Avalanche 2.0 2008 or

2, Mongoose Otero Elite

I know one's a Hardtail and the other is a FS but i don't want to buy one and then think oh bugger i wish i'd got the other now. I doubt i'll do any serious off road stuff yet so the GT looks likely, but is it any good?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Personally I would go with the GT, hardtails offer much better value at this price point.

And welcome aboard.
  • welcome to the forum darren.

David
  • I think I'd probably pick the GT too. It's a good bike to learn your craft on and you can always upgrade later.

Joe.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Can you try some decent hardtail and fullsusspension to get the idea which feels better to you? Any mates, neighbours, relatives?

The best would be to try praticulary those two.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Welcome aboard !! Another vote for the Hartail here too :)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Mongoose Otero is a bit too cheap for a full susser. I've seen the Otero Super and it is bloody heavy.

I think a hardtail is a better bet at that sort of price range.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • I'd go for the GT also I don't think you'd get much of a full sus for the money.

Cheers Kev.
    Do or do not there is no try!

Boardman Team 08
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nevinkevil ... 440283935/
  • xand_xand
    xand_xand Posts: 271
    go for the hardtail - they are so underlooked at the moment.
    MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • mikeage
    mikeage Posts: 150
    Again I'd vote for the GT. You'll feel more rewarded riding something lighter, stiffer and more responsive to your efforts than slugging around on a heavy, bouncy machine that litterally sucks energy and enthusiasm out of you one pedal at a time!

Get the GT or something similar and you'll love it. It'l be able to handle most things and will be worthy of upgrades for the foreseeable future!

Then again, everyone has preferences and opinions, this is just mine, so ignore it if you wish!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    mikeage wrote:
    Again I'd vote for the GT. You'll feel more rewarded riding something lighter, stiffer and more responsive to your efforts than slugging around on a heavy, bouncy machine that litterally sucks energy and enthusiasm out of you one pedal at a time!

Mikeage is spot on I reckon.
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    save up and buy a susser!
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Don't listen to Jesus he's a bit 'special' :wink:

The GTs a nice bike, for what you want a hardtails fine.
  • tompug
    tompug Posts: 227
    Make sure you try them first, the spec will go out the window if you never ride the bike because it doesn't feel right.
  • Hi guys,
    Ta very much for your replies, i'm watching on ebay and missed the GT, the Mongoose is still there but it weighs 32lbs and coupled with the bounce from the rear suss i'm leaning toward the Hardtail.
    On a very tight budget so looking for a second-hand bargain on ebay. Trying them out is going to be difficult as there aren't many retailers down my way.
    The search continues :roll:
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    The otero has exposed bearind in the supsention- not good in GB weather
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Ok, looking at a Marin Bobcat Trail 2006 for £250 now. Anyone got an opinion on Marin?
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Marin are good, but the geometry is a bit simple, - not good at speed , go for something more exiting
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Buying a bike without riding it is pretty risky, the components, geometry and frame material can make a huge difference to the feel and you might climb onto a really good bike but not feel comfortable on it. Test a few if you possibly can
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Whytepeak wrote:
    Marin are good, but the geometry is a bit simple, - not good at speed , go for something more exiting

I am not quite sure what you mean by that! What is 'exciting' geometry?! It has pretty standard geo for a bike of its type. Slack angled bikes can be good at speed due to more stabilty, steep angled can handle quicker when cornering.
  • The Marin depot is just around the corner from me so i'm off there this morning to look in the Outlet Shop. Called them yesterday and they said they've got a lot in stock in the Outlet, prices start at £225.
  • Hey there dont worry too much about "exiting geometry" get yourself a decent hardtail get out there and ride get fit and see if you enjoy mountain biking first . You will eventually get more idea of the kind of bike you need to suit your type of riding and the trails you ride .
    Commencal meta 55 vip
  • Hey there dont worry too much about "exiting geometry" get yourself a decent hardtail get out there and ride get fit and see if you enjoy mountain biking first . You will eventually get more idea of the kind of bike you need to suit your type of riding and the trails you ride .
    Commencal meta 55 vip
  • Went to the Marin outlet, they had a 2008 Pioneer Trail for £225 but only on a 17" frame. The guy reckoned that i'd need a 20.5" frame, i'm only 5' 10" and i thought the 17" looked fine :?
    I'm going to go out and find some retailers today and try some out, and then at least i can get a bargain from ebay with a little bit of knowledge.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Went to the Marin outlet, they had a 2008 Pioneer Trail for £225 but only on a 17" frame. The guy reckoned that i'd need a 20.5" frame, i'm only 5' 10" and i thought the 17" looked fine :?
    I'm going to go out and find some retailers today and try some out, and then at least i can get a bargain from ebay with a little bit of knowledge.

20.5 at 5'10 ???? seems a long way out based upon what i've read.
  • That's what i thought, i've just spoken to a Giant stockist who rides a 16" off road and an 18" on road and he's the same size as me!!
    I'm going to Evans Cycles next to try some out i think.
  • out of the two go for the GT because it will be more rewarding. My bike is a budget full-sus and isn't too bad but then again i did have to spend ages getting the forks and shock set how i liked them.

Don't be pinned into buying just the GT keep an eye out for 08 deals, if you're lucky you might even manage to pick up a 1,000-1,500 quid full-sus for 500 quid and if not you'll still get a very good hardtail for the same money in 08 deals, check out your lbs

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • New (again) to MTB's and decided that a hardtail was the way for me. Ended up opting for a Trek 6700 (09) which still sends shivers down my spine when I ride it!!!!!

Hardtails def the way to go.....

Alex
    Trek 6700 Disc (09)