Slight grinding/bumpy feel with new SRAM Rival...

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited February 2009 in Workshop
I've got a new '09 SRAM Rival groupset (just put on by the LBS) and when I pedal in the lower gears (thus putting some torque on it) I feel an almost grinding/bumpy feel in the bottom bracket (it may be coming from somewhere else and the vibrations travelled to there). I took it back to the LBS and they say it's just the way SRAM is, especially since it's new - so the chain ring teeth are very sharp and it's just the action of the teeth against the chain. They're probably right but, has anyone else experienced this? Does every new SRAM set feel like this?

Comments

• djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    Mine was a little noisy when new on a shimano chain. I put a new sram chain on and put the shimano on another bike and it's better. Don't forget their is a tooth missing on the cassette if its a sram one which adds to the noise.

It's got a chain noise like campag more than shimano, I wouldn't worry because if you try to listen to it when on the road it sounds good if indexed correctly :wink:
  • Just built up a Planet X SL Pro Carbon with Ultegra and FSA Gossamer chainset and exactly the same effect. When I was adjusting the indexing in the bike stand and in the higher gears the drivetrain seems to get a bit "crunchy" at high speed. Anyway I took it for a bit of a spin yesterday and it doesn't seem so bad when the bike is being ridden.

Thought it might be the FSA chainset so ordered a 105 compact to replace it and the FSA is going on ebay as I'd like to have all shimano anyway.

I've now put it down to the chain needing to wear in a bit??
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    extremepig wrote:
    Just built up a Planet X SL Pro Carbon with Ultegra and FSA Gossamer chainset and exactly the same effect. When I was adjusting the indexing in the bike stand and in the higher gears the drivetrain seems to get a bit "crunchy" at high speed. Anyway I took it for a bit of a spin yesterday and it doesn't seem so bad when the bike is being ridden.

Thought it might be the FSA chainset so ordered a 105 compact to replace it and the FSA is going on ebay as I'd like to have all shimano anyway.

I've now put it down to the chain needing to wear in a bit??

Thanks for the info. I really hope that's what it is. I think "crunchy" is a pretty good description of that. :)
  • Hmm, my SRAM Force stuff doesn't seem to have any of that feeling. BB bearings felt a bit tight at the start but feel ok now after a few miles.
  • Hmm, my SRAM Force stuff doesn't seem to have any of that feeling. BB bearings felt a bit tight at the start but feel ok now after a few miles.