garmin cadence pedal attachment

fuzzynavel
fuzzynavel Posts: 718
edited April 2009 in Workshop
I have a garmin 705 with Cadence and HRM. last night I was out and my cadence sensor on the pedal seems to have fallen off. Does anyone know where I can get another one?
17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    Crikey, I've just ordered one of these, though primarily for trainer use.

On the only other cadence sensor I have used, the magnet was so strong there was no way it could ever fall off the crank - does it attach differently with the GSC10 then?

I can see the speed sensor has to go around the spokes, but does the cadence one attach with cable ties or something?

Incidentally, Wiggle do the spare parts kit for £1 more (Maybe if you have discount status it will be no more) and if you want a whole new kit (So you have spares) I just ordered a whole kit for just under £27 from globalgizmos - never used them before, so can't vouch for them, but I hope they are good!

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    I got my GSC10 from globalgizmos ... and I'd never heard of them before, but have to say no problem, fast and cheap.
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Were you relying only on the sticky pad fixing? That was never going to work if so - there's a notch in the magnet so you can put a cable tie round it as well. You won't make that mistake again, at least...
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Any magnet will do.
    I was going to get one from globalgizmos but they totally ignored my e-mail so stuff em.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    As were on this and a slight aside issue, I have a roubaix and the crank is alot more than 5 mm from the chain stay so up to now I have not managed to get the two of them to cync

to date it's not bothered me as I'm on my winter hack but I guess I'm missing something obvious

any ideas yes I know :roll:
  • antfly
    I have a roubaix and it works fine.Have you got the magnet right up by the pedal?
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    antfly wrote:
    I have a roubaix and it works fine.Have you got the magnet right up by the pedal?

yes, I'll keep playing with it then do what I always do and go to my LBS
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    antfly wrote:
    Any magnet will do.
    I was going to get one from globalgizmos but they totally ignored my e-mail so stuff em.

same here, I sent 3 asking if the sensor came with the 2 magnets and no replies to any! definately puts me off ordering from them.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Were you relying only on the sticky pad fixing? That was never going to work if so - there's a notch in the magnet so you can put a cable tie round it as well. You won't make that mistake again, at least...

Sticky pad and cable tie were used but my pedal arm seems to have a deep groove down the inside of it which means that I have to put the magnet on the thin outer edge of the pedal arm which tends to be bit unstable. I need to find a way of filling in the groove so that I can tie the magnet on tightly (when I get the replacement). I may just cut a wedge of wood to fit and glue it in.

cheers for all the replies
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • antfly
    sicrow wrote:
    antfly wrote:

yes, I'll keep playing with it then do what I always do and go to my LBS

Does the main part definately work?They break easily if you get water in them.
  • I too have a Roubaix (Expert).

Not had a problem with either the Cadence sensor, secured with a zip tie, or the speed sensor.

Any magnet will do if positioned correctly. My speed sensor magnet is not the Garmin supplied magnet, but one from my previous Sigma computer. Much smaller but just as effective.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • daniel_b
    a_n_t wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    Any magnet will do.

same here, I sent 3 asking if the sensor came with the 2 magnets and no replies to any! definately puts me off ordering from them.

I mailed them earlier this week too and got no response....
    I'm hoping my experience will mirror that of Rockmounts though.

At 20% less than everywhere else, I thought it was worth a punt, and if it really doesn't have any magnets, looks like I can buy those for around the same money as it would cost whole somewhere else (Doesn;t look like this would be a problem, as obviously Rockmounts set was fine)

I'll reply when it arrives to update.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • i have the groove in my crank too, and i'm sure i'll lose the magnet eventually.

i read in another thread on here that cateye ones fit much more securely and work fine. That's my plan for when I lose mine...
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Just get steel cranks and a neodynium rare earth magnet. That bugger will never come off
  • antfly
    You could always stick it on the bit where the pedal bolt comes through the crank,if it was a strong magnet you wouldn`t need any sticky stuff,it won`t go anywhere.

{I see someone already said that,you don`t need a steel crank though}
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I use a Cateye magnet which has a sticky pad and a cable tie so there's no chance of it coming off.
  • spivvy
    spivvy Posts: 51
    Just get steel cranks and a neodynium rare earth magnet. That bugger will never come off

If you have steel pedal spindles they are perfect in my experience.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_nkwZ ... R40QQ_mdoZ
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    I had the same problem as some of you guys. Because of odd shaped chainstays, I couldn't get the standard magnet and sensor close enough to work reliably. Also, I didn't really want an ugly black cable tie around the crank :shock:

So, the solution I came up with is to buy some rare earth magnets which are about 10mm diameter and 4mm thick. They are incredibly strong! I glued 2 of them together and then glued them both to the crank arm using araldite. Much neater and works fine. Been on for about 9 months now.

Hope this helps,
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Use this Taxc cadence magnet.Its got a large surface area and fits over the cut outs on my Rouleur cranks and its held on well with an O ring.Cheap to.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Tacx_Cadence_Magnet/5360013366/
  • daniel_b
    An update chaps,

ordered the GSC10 from global gizmos a week ago, free delivery, so 4-5 working days, but only today do they e-mail me to tell me that Garmin don't have any in the country at present, but that they expect them soon.

Luckily I am not in too much of a hurry, but not the best first impression, as they have taken the money straightaway, and then waited a week to inform me of the delay :?

Just thought I would update incase anyone was planning to order and needed it asap.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Daniel B wrote:
    Just thought I would update incase anyone was planning to order and needed it asap.

Dan

cheers boss
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    Wappygixer wrote:
    Use this Taxc cadence magnet.Its got a large surface area and fits over the cut outs on my Rouleur cranks and its held on well with an O ring.Cheap to.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Tacx_Cadence_Magnet/5360013366/

Backing up this recommendation, I just fitted one of these and it works fine. The only minor issue is that the o-ring that attaches it to the cranks is a little tight, but seems to hold up OK.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Only just got hold of a GSC10 sensor for my 705 but after a quick look at it last night I can't see how you can get the sensor within 5mm of the crank arm magnet without having the sensor at like a 45 degree angle on the chainstay (this is on an 08 Roubaix Elite). Is that right or am I missing something?

I guess the logical thing to would be to bulk out the mounting of the crank magnet so it protrudes a lot more, there's about a 25mm gap to bridge though, is it just the design of the FSA gossamer cranks that's causing this (I think Shimano cranks are a fair bit fatter and not so curved in profile)?
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    nferrar wrote:
    Only just got hold of a GSC10 sensor for my 705 but after a quick look at it last night I can't see how you can get the sensor within 5mm of the crank arm magnet without having the sensor at like a 45 degree angle on the chainstay (this is on an 08 Roubaix Elite). Is that right or am I missing something?

I guess the logical thing to would be to bulk out the mounting of the crank magnet so it protrudes a lot more, there's about a 25mm gap to bridge though, is it just the design of the FSA gossamer cranks that's causing this (I think Shimano cranks are a fair bit fatter and not so curved in profile)?

I suspect the issue is with the FSA cranks. I've just fitted a sensor to my 09 Roubaix Expert (with Ultegra SL cranks) and they work perfectly. Also, my training bike has a groove cut out of the cranks which meant I've nearly lost the magnet several times. I ended up wedging a small piece of wood (painted the same colour os the cranks) under the crank magnet and everything is now firmly in place. Not an ideal solution for the bling merchants but it's cheap and effective for a training bike.

For anyone who's struggling to get the sensor to detect the magnets, I've found it helps to hold the magnet and sensor in your hands and run the magnet past the sensor a few times before fitting them to the bike ... making sure the sensor detects the magnet obviously. I KNOW this shouldn't make any difference but it seems to make subsequent detection easier on my 3 bikes with both the Foreunner 305 and Edge 705.