upgrades (gears)

3110neil
3110neil Posts: 303
edited January 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hello
Im wanting to change the gear set up ,ive currently got 24 speed alvier
any ideas of what to change to ,im thinking of ,front mech,rear derailler,shifters thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can I ask what is wrong with what you have? Any areas it lets you down, or just want a change?

Next step is 9 speed components. What bike do you have? You will need shifters, chain and cassette as a minimum, maybe chainset.
  • 3110neil
    hi
    its a cannondale f6 disc 2008
    it has avid juicey 3 brakes ,rockshox dart 2 forks ,
    the reason for change i dont know ,just thought better gears system would be better for rideing
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not always! Alivio is good kit. Deore is next up, which is 9 speed (smaller gaps in the ratios) and only very slightly smoother. SLX would be a more worthwhile upgrade or XT.

I would wear out what you have ie the chainset , chain and cogs, and when dead, replace the lot.
  • 3110neil
    thanks supersonic
    last time i had a bike was back in 1990,but had to sell lt as we had a kid needed money
    19 years later ,and 3 kids one being a boy and decided he wanted a mtb instead of his bmx i thought it was a good idea to get us both one ,only everything has changed specs are differant and i can not pull a wheely any more im allsop starting to think i got the wrong bike .Thanks for your advice