SKS Blades and tyre clearance

PO Paul
PO Paul Posts: 114
edited January 2009 in Workshop
Anyone any idea what is the (safest) minimum clearance required between SKS clip-on mudguards and the tyres? At the moment I've got probably about 3/4 of an inch.

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I've finished a few rides with my race blades in contact with the tyre (damn pot holes :p ) so not sure about safe distance but it works at 0, although I wouldn't want to ride it that way for long :p
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    My fronts about 8mm away from the tyre and rear up to about an inch in some places....cant be bothered to mess to get it any better as its stops 99% of water as it is.
    I have used the straps supplied and 3 ty wraps on each fastening so its as secure as it can be though it does move abit and sometimes i can hear the rear touching the tyre now and again (mainly out of the seat and giving it some must move the guard side to side slightly).
    Cheers, Stu
  • PO Paul
    Thanks.
    I was a bit worried about them slipping (even though I secured them well), that's why I left 3/4". I thought if they came into contact with the tyre, everything would just jam up and I'd go flying!
    Maybe I should move them a bit closer to catch more of the spray.
  • PO Paul
    Thanks.
    I was a bit worried about them slipping (even though I secured them well), that's why I left 3/4". I thought if they came into contact with the tyre, everything would just jam up and I'd go flying!
    Maybe I should move them a bit closer to catch more of the spray.