Marmotte virgin, gearing advice

bailwill
bailwill Posts: 7
edited February 2009 in Workshop
I currrently have a roubaix with a 34x27 compact. I struggled like hell over Tourmalet last summer. Can I fix a different cassete with more teeth on the back, or is my only option to go for a triple? If I go for a triple, how much benefit will I get e.g will it give me the same effect as having one, two or three extra gears? Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• If you struggle with 34x27 go for a triple... much safer option
    left the forum March 2023
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    If its campag you could get a 29 back cassette. That would give you a quite low gearing and would be a close to a standard triple without the excess cost.
    Brian B.
  • HI sorry I should have said it is shimano.

quote="Brian B"]If its campag you could get a 29 back cassette. That would give you a quite low gearing and would be a close to a standard triple without the excess cost.[/quote]
  • IIRC the Shimano Mega 9 stuff is compatible with their 9 speed STi's so perhaps a swap to an MTB cassette, long cage rear mech and a used Tiagra/Older DA STI? If it all fits together that would give you a 34/32 or 34/34 depending on the cassette.

It maybe not the prettiest combination in the world but certainly an effective one - if possble that is.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    if you run 9spd then you can fit a MTB cassette and mtb mech (11-32 or 11-34)

A long cage road mech won't work - it need to be a mtb one.

If you run 10 spd then Shimano llist the 7900 DA cassette in 11-28, and SRAM do a 11-28 which would work too.

Otherwise, you could get a 33 ring to fit... rare but available if you look hard.

Or it's a triple.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    for reference

a 34-27 is 33.1 inches, what you currently have.

33-27 is 32.1"

33-28 is 31.0"

which is very close to 30-25 at 31.5"

In other words, a 10spd compact can go as low as a triple with a 25t rear sprocket.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I've modified my Campag Record Triple from 50/40/30 to 50/39/26. Allied with a (9s)13-28
    cassette on the back, I'll have the low gears to tackle the Marmotte. Just need to build up
    the fitness.
  • maddog, I think you mean "a 10sp compact with a 28t sprocket can go (nearly) as low as a triple with a 25t sprocket"
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    for reference

a 34-27 is 33.1 inches, what you currently have.

33-27 is 32.1"

33-28 is 31.0"

which is very close to 30-25 at 31.5"

In other words, a 10spd compact can go as low as a triple with a 25t rear sprocket.

SO a 30x 27 (which I think is the biggest you can get on a shimano 10spd) would be what, about 29"? just so I can compare that to my compact, would that be the same as having two or three extra gears ?
    Thanks
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I would get fitter and ensure your ok with the gears you have :D
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Have a play with Sheldon's gear calculator. It makes it a lot easier to see your options.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/
  • I would get fitter and ensure your ok with the gears you have :D

Thanks! As another old welshman living in Oxfordshire, my fear is that I can't get the appropriate training in! I have a house in Newport Pembs, and do the hills there but they are all short and 15%rather than long and 8-10%. Oxofrd is bloody useless as the biggest hills are only a couple of kms long. As someone who has done this, what is your advicer as to how to get fit for the big hills.
    Martyn :?
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I completed the Marmotte last year and a majority of my training involved a pan flat 36 mile daily commute to work.

As I see it, pushing down on the pedal is the same whether you are on the flat or on a hill, only the gear selection is different. I just made sure I commuted in a big gear to give my legs a bit of a work out, and I almost enjoyed going out when it was windy to further increase resistance.

It is equaly important to get a few long days in the saddle under your belt, as that is a key feature of the event...and putting in any hills at the end of a 100 mile ride when you are a bit tired will maximise the benefit they will give to your training, and replicate what it wil be like on the day.

Just my early morning thoughts.
    Half man, Half bike
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    bailwill wrote:
    Oxofrd is bloody useless as the biggest hills are only a couple of kms long. As someone who has done this, what is your advicer as to how to get fit for the big hills.
    No hills required. Concentrate on plenty miles. 10 hours in the saddle is a long time. Think of the flats bits (45k) as a hard fast slog, the up bits (65k) as a hard slow slog and the down bits (65k) as v.fast respite.
    Rich
  • NaB
    NaB Posts: 105
    Marmotte is doable on much bigger gears...managed it on 53/39 13/26 last year but a compact like yours would be ideal. Have to say though that if you blow up on the climbs no gear is small enough! Get used to pushing big gears you'll need a lot of strength to do a decent time and make the climbs bearable. Hard short rides at near threshold on the flat can be just as productive as seeking out climbs to practice on.