Old Skool Time Trials

bradman
bradman Posts: 22
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
There seems to be considerable interest at the moment in Planet X's Old Skool time trial series.
Does anyone know the rules yet regarding allowed bike spec?
Any thoughts on suitable bikes past and present?

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    It's on the website from what I can remember. Will see if I can find it.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    OK

Here you go:

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/?p=2889

Pretty tight but then they would have to be or it be terribly old skool otherwise.
  • bradman
    Thanks.
    As you say, the rules are necessarily tight.
    Presumably steel frames don't have to be round but alu frames need to be round rather than elliptical?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    bradman wrote:
    Presumably steel frames don't have to be round but alu frames need to be round rather than elliptical?
    Surely for TT's, the shape of the tubing is more important than what it's made of? I've got a aluminium Cervelo Team with aero down-tube & seat-tube so it wouldn't comply, but I can't see a steel version of the same thing should be allowed either.

Interesting idea anyway - nice to see a step back from having to spend more and more on aero kit just to post a decent time.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Hmm.. I only have one bike that meets these requirements and that's my fixed... don;t think I'd be breaking any records riding 45x17

Reading CC are trying a similar thing, running two club events as 'athletes' TTs. The rules for these aren't quite so tight though, essentially you have to ride a road bike with shallow section wheels and no aerobars/aerohelmets
  • bradman
    I agree Bronzie that tube shape should be considered more important than material but, as I have an old Graham Weigh Reynolds 853 framed bike with an elliptical down tube, I wondered whether that would be allowed. I don't have many bikes of different frame material and shape to choose from!
  • Please dont get hung up on whats allowed / not allowed .

Only the guys going for records will be scrutinized , for mortals its more about participating and challenging yourself ,.

No aero bars , no carbon deep wheels - other than that have some fun .
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sounds like an excellent idea - i think they should have similar rules for normal testing for schoolies and juniors too - cost of kit must put people off.