Tyres in Afan forest park???

xwolfgangx
xwolfgangx Posts: 36
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
What brand best for mtb tyres all weather condition in Afan forest park? i and my mates going there on this April. Thank

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I ride with Kenda Blue groves, mate with high rollers, and other with a set of different Kneda's but what i'd say is most important is having a good 2.35 tyre its can be rocky rooty and slippery when wet and a 2.35 will find grip where a thinner tyre wont.

Yes you will have to drag it up hill a bit, but when your gripping and everyone is slipping you will be grateful! i would not ride in the welsh centers with less now.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I got around all the trails with 2.1 High Rollers without issues, grip is more important on the roots than cushoning on the rocks IMO.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    rocky rooty and slippery when wet and a 2.35 will find grip where a thinner tyre wont.

As i said.

Ridden them on 2.1 and all sorts and yes you can but it is alot lot more fun with a bigger grippier tyre.
  • Right, thank for help.....what you think Continental Mountain King Supersonic 2.2 ? it is good for all weather? mates
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    Rode Afan last weekend on the Stumpy with it's *old* 1.95 Panaracer TrailRakers. Fast. But, quite sketchy in the muck. Thankfully, that was only on the *hidden* side of the hills. Was fine on the drier, more exposed sides.
    But, they really sucked at Cwmcarn on the Sunday afternoon. Different kind of dirt. Just didn't handle at all (quite low tread). Terrible cornering.

If I were doing it again, I'd look for something in the 2.1-2.2 range. Possibly High Rollers. Tackier at front, if poss.
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    stumpyjon wrote:
    I got around all the trails with 2.1 High Rollers without issues, grip is more important on the roots than cushoning on the rocks IMO.

That was my experience too.

Don't forget your bike, in terms of clearance and rim size, will only take tyres of a certain size range.
  • my bike it's specialized stumpjumper hardtail and wheels mavis xc 717 rim.
    Can 2.2 to 2.4 tyres will fit my bike n rims? mates
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    According to CRC product specs (which may or may not be accurate), that rim has recommended tyre widths of 1.00 to 2.10.

2.10 High roller in tpa 60 might be good for you?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    xwolfgangx wrote:
    Right, thank for help.....what you think Continental Mountain King Supersonic 2.2 ? it is good for all weather? mates

No... think of that tyre as a cross country type thing, its name is a misleading there's not much tread on it and its not gonna do your confidence any good in the wet and mud. Aim more for high rollers / nevegals / rampage kind of things and you won't find them annoyingly draggy but they'll be stacks better when its not summer hard pack.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    XC717 says up to 2.1 on the website but up to 2.3 on the rim, apparently, as long as you keep to low pressures. Which obviously you would anyway, so no hardship.
    Uncompromising extremist