I'm not entirely sure this was a good idea...

big_southern_jesse
big_southern_jesse Posts: 729
edited January 2009 in The Crudcatcher
A cycling buddy who has recently upgraded with a new bike very kindly dropped round a pair of wheels and a pair of disc brakes today. My bike is in urgent need of more stopping power, so as he was breaking up his old bike for spares, this was a great opportunity for a budget upgrade.

So having got the DIY out of the way, I rushed off to the workshop to play. so okay, front wheel is a good fit, and the new brake swaps in for the old very easily. Hmmm, have to dismantle half the handlebar to fit the lever, but that's fine. Now, try the back wheel and brake, equally good. Fantastic!

so at this point I remove the old V-brakes at the back, and have also cleared the other side of the handlebar... - Oooh, that handlebar is empty, I'll give it a quick clean....

Things progressed... I now have a very clean frame, with just the bottom bracket and cranks, and the forks attached. Everything else is dismantled as far as possible, cleaned and dried, and laid out on one of the workbenches in small plastic pots!

I'm just a little concerned because I've just confirmed for a night ride on Tuesday. So that gives me tomorrow lunch time to buy new gear cables and grips, and then tomorrow evening to rebuild, refit and tweak brakes, gears, controls and every other bracket for lights, computer etc...

I just hope it goes smoothly! Wish me luck.... :? :shock:
Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
The world's ultimate marmite bike

Comments

• Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    Good luck!

Let us know how you get on :D
  • good luck mate :)

Assuming you have all the parts/tools to fit everything back together, I'd say it wouldn't take more than a few hours.

I did my GT using only a multitool in an afternoon :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I do this all the time. Plan a build, take apart - forget some bits!
  • Yippee!

Okay, it's a little late.... but I've practically finished. So that's new wheels in place, with sprockets, tubes, tires etc. Derailleurs cleaned and back on, shifters back on with new cables and set up correctly, and a few other bits and bobs.

All I've got to do now is pump up the tires in the morning, then I can ride to work to give everything a test, and pop into the LBS at lunch break to get some new grips. Then refit the lights and I'm ready for the night ride.

That's the first time I've stripped the bike completely... I know it's every day stiff to some of you, but to be honest, I'm quite chuffed! :D
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Well done fella, hope the ride was worth it!