Advice please - New to road bike

dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi

I am looking at buying this bike as my budget is £200 for a "get to work and get fit" starter road bike (Don't want to spend a fortune to find it's not for me).

Is this any good or does anyone know of a better deal elsewhere?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dawes-Giro-200-Mens-Road-Bike-58CM_W0QQitemZ140296764153QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item140296764153&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Thanks in advance

Darren

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    best to try the bike for size first, most people on here recommend going to your local bike shop (lbs). trying things out for size and getting good advice saves a lot of money in the long run.

I'm not sure of road bike sizing, but I think this is a medium bike for people between 5'6" and 5'10", but a lot depends on body proportions.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • dg74
    best to try the bike for size first, most people on here recommend going to your local bike shop (lbs). trying things out for size and getting good advice saves a lot of money in the long run.

I'm not sure of road bike sizing, but I think this is a medium bike for people between 5'6" and 5'10", but a lot depends on body proportions.

I'm 5'10" so that is the sort of frame size I'm looking for. Although a trip to Evans Cycles or Halfords is on the cards tomorrow to double check!

So far, I've spotted a few in my price range but I really like the Carrera Virtuoso that Halfords sell so I may just save a little more!
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    if you'r going to halfords, the boardman's are good value, but probably more than your current budget.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • if you can afford try and get a bike with sti gears and leavers form outset you wont regret it that means brake and gear levers are combined

tytherington
  • dg74
    That bike looks cack, i'd look 2nd hand for that price ie:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Decathlon-7-1-Spo ... 240%3A1318

That is a nice looking bike but I fear it will sell for more than my budget.

Looks like I'll need to save up another month! Be worth it if I get what I want though...
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Definately worth waiting to get the integrated brakes/gear shifters
  • dg74
    Thanks for all the advice from everyone. Much appreciated.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    dg74 wrote:
    Hi

I am looking at buying this bike as my budget is £200 for a "get to work and get fit" starter road bike (Don't want to spend a fortune to find it's not for me).

The Dawes Giro/Saracen Tour/Raleigh Airlite etc etc..... are all perfectly ok starter Road bikes that'll get you to work and back and will enable you to get fitter - they're all well made/reliable starter Road bikes - if after 3-6 months or so you don't like it, sell it on Ebay - alternately you could sell it on after 3-6 months or so and use the money towards a better Road bike again - plenty of options - you'll certainly get to work quicker on a Road bike as opposed to a MTB or similar.

If you want to spend a bit more, something like this would make a good budget Roadie:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2008