Are all tyres like this?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2009 in Workshop
Hi.

Well I have been happy with my GP4000 front tyre and GP4000S tyre up untill now, I've just took a close inspection at them, and all over are little slits and sort of holes and in nearly every one is glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm wondering if I should need to replace these tyres now? Allthough the wear indicators still indicate plenty of wear left.

So do I tyres go like this with bits of holes getting in em?

DSC00141-1.jpg

DSC00145.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I wouldn't worry too much about them if the slit's not all the way through. If it bothers you, try a touch of superglue to close the gap.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Anonymous
    I tried that rubber stuff from puncture repair kits, never worked really.

I mean is my chance of punctures increased allot? I want to do a 50 or so mile ride tomorrow but worried my tyres are going to give me hell.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    willhub wrote:
    I tried that rubber stuff from puncture repair kits, never worked really.

nor would it - its not designed for that. your tyres are fine - just ride them. if any of that damage was going to cause a puncture, it would have done so already..
  • Anonymous
    Hmmm ok.

I'm still intending on ordering the replacement tyres for when they do die.

Trying to find somewhere that has the Michelin Krylion's in stock but everywhere is out of stock on em :(
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    If you pick the bits of glass out, you should be okay (famous last words!)
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    i would have no hesitation in riding those tyres.
    as slow downcp suggested, superglue can be used for small cuts
    regards,
    dbb
  • Anonymous
    I cant pick all the glass out, I'd end up cutting the tyres up more on some of them.

So does everyone get loads of bits of crap and glass in the tyres like that?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    willhub wrote:

So does everyone get loads of bits of crap and glass in the tyres like that?

if there is glass in the road - and you ride over it - then it is likely that the tyre will pick some of it up. rubber is prone to it, unfortunately.
  • I've found the same problem with GP 4000 and gatorskins. I now "dig" the glass fragments out using the smallest cheapo jewelers screw driver after each ride. This seems to have reduced the number of punctures I get . Either that or I've been lucky over the last 6 months!

If I find a longer slit I use a very small drop of super glue to close the gap,stops the slit gathering flint and glass but I'm not sure what the long term effect of this will be.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Conti rubber seemed quite soft to me, and is prone to this. It is the price you pay for possibly a better ride and better grip of soft rubber. I just checked my tyres that have done 3k miles and whilst there are a few tiny particles embedded they are not like yours, so to answer your question, no, not all tyres are like this, but I would not replace them until you start getting regular punctures.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    At this time of year you should check your tyres for glass after every ride and remove all the bits. They will work through if left.
    Will. If you are still in York be very careful at the A64 underpass on the Selby cycle track. It is glass alley.