Oooops I have done it now ! Fundraising

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
Been toying with the idea of doing the Manchester to Blackpool ride this year, Not 100% sure I am ready but oh well its done, I have 7 Months to get my milage up, I do a Minimum of 14 miles a day and a maximum of 25 a day, Does anyone have any tips for me ?

You can read my story and sponsor me here:

http://gazzasblogs.blogspot.com/2009/01 ... -2009.html
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Just keep up the mileage you say you're doing, buy new kit regularly as your current kit will grow to be too big over time and the 60 miles for the ride shouldn't be to hard.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • gb155
    redvee wrote:
    Just keep up the mileage you say you're doing, buy new kit regularly as your current kit will grow to be too big over time and the 60 miles for the ride shouldn't be to hard.

Thanks, Never done less than 70 miles a week but thats over 5 days, Had to buy new stuff twice due to it getting too big, Feels amazing though, Thanks for the advice.

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Gaz - do you have the time to keep pushing up the maximum a bit more each week? What about time for other forms of exercise, such as those funny looking cross training machines in a gym? They'll help with the weight loss, aid your fitness and therefore decrease the effort you have to put in to get to 70 miles.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    cjcp wrote:
    Gaz - do you have the time to keep pushing up the maximum a bit more each week? What about time for other forms of exercise, such as those funny looking cross training machines in a gym? They'll help with the weight loss, aid your fitness and therefore decrease the effort you have to put in to get to 70 miles.

Hi mate, Yeah I have time, Before xmas my morning ride was 16 miles and my ride home was 10 miles, But since then I have suffered a pulled hamstring and deadly man-flu so im just churning out the minimum to keep going, my 70 mile a week commute is very easy for me now (minus the last 2 weeks) and even when I ramped it up I was still ok but it took more effort.

Not sure about gym's they are full of weirdo's lol only joking I just like the fresh air

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You've had a bit of a time of it!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    cjcp wrote:
    You've had a bit of a time of it!

Aye lol,

Suppose it makes my decision to enter now even more strange but I'm more determined more than ever, Just need to make sure I give myself the best chance.

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Just left you a comment on your blog. As I said there, these things are always made a bit easier if you've got something to drive you on - in this case, raising money for charity. Go for it!! :twisted:
  • gb155
    iain_j wrote:
    Just left you a comment on your blog. As I said there, these things are always made a bit easier if you've got something to drive you on - in this case, raising money for charity. Go for it!! :twisted:

Thanks mate, Yup you are right, Maybe with the hamstring and man-flu I might have taken the car but this ride is always in the back of my mind so I didnt take the care, I have some MTFU juice and got on with it.

Thanks for the comments.

• chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    Gaz you really are a f*king winner! 8) :D
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • gb155
    chronyx wrote:
    Gaz you really are a f*king winner! 8) :D

lol Thanks Man :D

• girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    I left this on your blog, but it's worth repeating here I think.
    15 stone and 1200 miles, 70 miles with a cold and now you're doing charity work too? Any morning I wake up and think of taking the bus I will remind myself of the effort you're putting in, MTFU and ride.

You may yet inspire me to take the plunge and commit to some charity sportives this year myself.

Chapeau, sir!
    Today is a good day to ride
  • gb155
    girv73 wrote:
    I left this on your blog, but it's worth repeating here I think.
    15 stone and 1200 miles, 70 miles with a cold and now you're doing charity work too? Any morning I wake up and think of taking the bus I will remind myself of the effort you're putting in, MTFU and ride.

You may yet inspire me to take the plunge and commit to some charity sportives this year myself.

Chapeau, sir!

Good luck, It can be daunting but once you committed to it then it all of a sudden doesnt seem so bad, Im weird I know lol

Thanks everyone for comments on my blog, Much appreciated.

Gaz

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    edited January 2009
    Good luck with it Gaz. I'm doing something similar on the Cheshire Cat at the end of March, and bricking it. And if I may be so cheeky as to direct some eyes to my sig...
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I am looking, but I don't see...

You seem sigless
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    As has been said upping the mileage will get your base fitness up and any extra mileage is all miles in the bank!
    My average commute can vary from about 25 miles a week for one work place and to just over 26 miles a day for another :-) When I did the Capital to Coast ride last year I didn't put in any "proper" training, with only a couple of long rides in the 6 weeks before.........one of about 30 miles and another day where I meet some friends and clocked up just over 45 for the day.

The ride itself went great. I went along at a comfortable speed and tried to resist the urge to chase down the next cyclist ahead of me :-D I took advantage of the food stop at the midway point and then set-off to complete the ride. I started feeling it after 45 miles but seeing the sea on the horizon once I got to the top of Devils Dyke at 52 miles was all I needed to spur me on!

If you look at it as that you have 10 months to prepare, then you'll be fine and I have no doubt that you'll love it! Of course the problem when comes at to what ride you go for next to challenge yourself ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    My colleagues have told me that I am doing the Manchester to Blackpool this year too, along with 70-odd others...