Boardman road comp 08

Clockworkali
Clockworkali Posts: 113
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Just thought i would post this for anybody looking to get there first road bike.

One of my mates got his first road bike today. Its a Boardman road comp 08 and i have to say its a very good bike for the money. He managed to get it brand new from Halfords for just under £400 (10% off online and if you know somebody who works for BT you can get an extra 10% off at Halfords). The bike has Tiagra shifters and front mec, 105 rear mec, Tektro brakes and Ritchey comp wheels, stem, handle bars and seat post. He hasn't been out on it yet but it looks more than capable and build quality and finish is excellent.

I will report back once he has some miles on it.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    +1

I got one just before xmas and I love it. The staff at cannock halfords are also polite, helpful and not rubbish :shock:

There aren't many left of the 08 ones now though I paid £450 for mine on c2w.

It's in the vault at work as a type :)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Bar.
    Bar. Posts: 41
    Got mine before Xmas, too and so far, very happy indeed. Will be difficult to find specific sizes without a bit of travel in many places now but the 09 range also looks very nice, though of course not discounted.
    Personally I'm not convinced by Bikehut, they are not comparable, in my experience of four stores, with a good LBS, but the standard varies greatly between stores and staff members.
    Bikehut could do with some genuine standardisation and improvement of servicing/build-ups and also service. I went in some stores and they were too busy having a chat by the till (which isn't used, you often have to pay downstairs) and lacked experience and bike knowledge. Oddly, the salesperson I was most impressed with didn't belong to the Bike section and was covering but had knowledge, enthusiasm and was actually interested in serving. 'IF' they could sort out the issues that many have been reporting, then the Boardmans will fly out of the shops even faster, though I'm enjoying being the only Boardman rider around my area that I've seen.
    Your mate made a good choice imho.
  • 185nick
    185nick Posts: 57
    Hi, I've been mountain biking for quite a few years but now wish to get a road bike as well. My budget is £500-£600 and so the boardman has caught my eye. Don't know the first thing about road bikes so any advice would be great.

I'm after an all rounder - something that I can go for a blast in the evenings on but also be able to get out for longish days and ideally be able to put racks on and do a bit of touring. Do you think the Boardman would be good for this and could it take luggage in the form of panniers? If any pointers in the direction that I should be looking would be great.
  • I think the Boardman is more a straight race style of bike. If you are wanting to fit panniers and presumably mudguards, I would recommend you look at a Ribble Audax, for instance. Its frame design is more suited to long leisurely touring than the pretty upright and rigid angles of the Boardman. Whatever you go for though, ensure that it has eyelets fitted on the front fork and rear stay or your options become limited and expensive.
  • 185nick
    185nick Posts: 57
    Thank you very much crabstix. Will bear that in mind.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    None of the Boardman road bikes will take a rack or full guards they are designed as race bikes not sure they'd be much cop for touring.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017