Computer Dilema

spacemonkeys
spacemonkeys Posts: 32
edited January 2009 in Workshop
Ok If you've got a flash carbon road bike, what comptur do you stick on it ?

Starting to get my summer bike together and the specialized computer that I bought at the end of last year has to go, the sensor on the fork is an eye sort and the wheel magnet is like .. massize, and after I spent money on Campag Shamal ultras that ain't staying, so then I think maybe i'll go for a Garmin Edge 205 as that won't have any other gubins, but they are a bit bigger than I thought, and what will that look like on my pro stealth bars ?

So what do people run ? Know this sounds a bit vein .. but the devil is in the detail .. or does nobody else care about these things ?

Ta in advnace

Comments

• Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    From what I can gather, half the pro pelton have a Garmin 705 on their stems, while the other half use the computer from their power monitoring system.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I used to use a Polar HRM on my stem of my goood bike. I now use a Cateye Strada Cadence on all my bikes that have a computer - but if you aren't bothered about cadence the Strada Wireless would be a good choice.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    I'll second red's choice of the Cateye Strada wireless . It's near perfection . For me that is . Neat as heck , legible , and without the bloat of needless functions .
    Possibly the only improvement might have been an adaptor to place it ahead of the stem and in line with it as with my old Campag ergobrain . I liked that .
    BTW , the Strada's magnet fits nicely to the chunky Shamal spokes . The worst computer I ever had was a German device under the name of VDO . Avoid that one .
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • A real dilemma...
    I guess you can't sleep at night...
    left the forum March 2023
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I quite like the look of the strada. but
    mercsport wrote:
    The worst computer I ever had was a German device under the name of VDO . Avoid that one .

Ah, VDO, those people who put instruments in Mercs, BMW's Porche's etc. VDO has been the best computer I have ever had (I have 2). I had an analogue wireless one that gave up the ghost after 8 years, I sent it back to the company in Germany, a bit cheeky really as they "only" have a 5 year warranty. The following week I got a package with a letter apologising that my computer could not be replaced as it was obsolete, but enclosed was a brand new digital wireless computer - a £35 model. So my experience with VDO, very clear screens, very simple to use, and unbelievable customer service! I don't know of any other company that would have treated a customer so well!

I did have cause to send a faulty product back to Cateye (Zyro in the UK), within 6 months of purchase. They completely blanked all my requests for a warranty replacement of a single small part, insisting I paid (it was a light which fell apart on the road due to poor design and build quality, and I lost a small spring). Utterly rubbish customer support, dodgy design and build quality. I am now averse to buying anything distributed by the truly woeful Zyro!

I currently own a Cateye HR200 computer, it is almost illegible and the menus and instructions require a PhD. It also goes *its up when used with my LED light (something that doesn't phase the VDO). I will be selling it shortly if anyone wants it, and believes the Cateye hype.

Just thought I'd stick up for a brand that stuck up for me!
  • alfablue wrote:
    I quite like the look of the strada. but
    mercsport wrote:
    The worst computer I ever had was a German device under the name of VDO . Avoid that one .

Ah, VDO, those people who put instruments in Mercs, BMW's Porche's etc. VDO has been the best computer I have ever had (I have 2). I had an analogue wireless one that gave up the ghost after 8 years, I sent it back to the company in Germany, a bit cheeky really as they "only" have a 5 year warranty. The following week I got a package with a letter apologising that my computer could not be replaced as it was obsolete, but enclosed was a brand new digital wireless computer - a £35 model. So my experience with VDO, very clear screens, very simple to use, and unbelievable customer service! I don't know of any other company that would have treated a customer so well!

I did have cause to send a faulty product back to Cateye (Zyro in the UK), within 6 months of purchase. They completely blanked all my requests for a warranty replacement of a single small part, insisting I paid (it was a light which fell apart on the road due to poor design and build quality, and I lost a small spring). Utterly rubbish customer support, dodgy design and build quality. I am now averse to buying anything distributed by the truly woeful Zyro!

I currently own a Cateye HR200 computer, it is almost illegible and the menus and instructions require a PhD. It also goes *its up when used with my LED light (something that doesn't phase the VDO). I will be selling it shortly if anyone wants it, and believes the Cateye hype.

Just thought I'd stick up for a brand that stuck up for me!

Let me just join in... I do have a PhD and still can't come to terms with my Cateye instructions
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    edited January 2009
    I haven't had any trouble with my cateye computer or my cateye HRM watch. If I were you i'd look for one unit that does HR, speed and cadence, and is ideally 2.4GHz so you can put it on the back wheel for turboing.

And as for zyro/cateye, I've had no issues with zyro for other warranty issues (which they go through my lbs for) they shipped a replacement lever for my turbo next day. The issue with the cateye lights is that the warranty on them is appalling, which is why zyro don't do warranty stuff very nicely.
  • alfablue
    Oh, I made a big mistake then, I quit my PhD because I thought "if I can't understand the Cateye manual, what hope is there..." :?
  • alfablue wrote:
    Oh, I made a big mistake then, I quit my PhD because I thought "if I can't understand the Cateye manual, what hope is there..." :?

Luckily I got mine just before buying the cateye computer... fortunately it wasn't a present for the event, it would have been so frustrating! :lol:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've just started my PhD (well D.Phil 'cos i'm all special) what did you guys do?
  • alfablue
    I quit with my study of control and restraint in mental health services :cry: Actually, there were insurmountable ethical problems with the study. But it feels better to blame Cateye.
  • mercsport
    Heck ! I didn 't think that VDO would have had such a devoted fan .

My solitary experience of VDO consisted of buying one from the LBS when the Ergobrain went lifeless on me . It was a £32 wireless job . In short order it unilaterally declared that it didn't like to record speeds over thirty mph much . Very haphazard in that regard but as often as not when creaming it down a hill it would register zero and reset itself a few miles later - perhaps . Additionally I didn't really appreciate the fact that it would only display mph no finer than five tenths - half a mph . Which was a bummer after years of appreciating the effort required to alter a tenths reading computer by a single tenth on a big hill . This tenths aspect also affected the mileages of course . All my local runs were radically different to what I'd got used to . It finally gave up on me altogether and I chucked it after about three batteries - which it enjoyed eating too . My original Cateye of 1990 was a better unit than the wretched VDO . It still works perfectly .
  • alfablue
    Well you had bad luck with the VDO, I have had no problem with 30+ speeds, it always does the job reliably. The speed readout is limited to 0.5mph on mine, but decimals are registered for the max and average speed recordings, and the trip distance and odometer. We can only speak as we find, of course.
  • I've just started my PhD (well D.Phil 'cos i'm all special) what did you guys do?

Chemistry of materials
  • mercsport
    alfablue wrote:
    Well you had bad luck with the VDO, I have had no problem with 30+ speeds, it always does the job reliably. The speed readout is limited to 0.5mph on mine, but decimals are registered for the max and average speed recordings, and the trip distance and odometer. We can only speak as we find, of course.

Aye , that's a fact . :)

I confess that the LBS offered to replace the VDO , but I'd had enough of it by then and the Strada wireless - new at that time - looked to be the machine of my desires . It still is of course .
  • Andy140
    Andy140 Posts: 130
    Just changed cateye micro for Mavic Ebolt - the wheel sensor is on the bolt that replaces the QR nut on right hand fork leg, so no cable ties on forks = the computer is fitted to small arm where you can mount it over or in front of the stem, i find it much easier to see/read when in front of the stem - easier to work than the cateye and a well thought out product
  • As you have a flash carbon road bike - then the 705 has got to be the way to go.

If you don't need all of the functionality of that - then the Cateye Strada a great sleak, functioning bit of kit.

I've got both on my best bike at the moment (completely pointless as the 705 can measure speed in two different ways on its own) such was my hurry to get out and play with the Garmin
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    have you seen the pro?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mc/Cycle/7/Pro/Computers/
    i have the 3.5 and think it's better than the cat eye that i have had
    regards,
    dbb
  • FatLarry
    FatLarry Posts: 209
    I totally understand where you're at...

I have a Cateye Strada and a Garmin 305 mount on my Allez. The Strada is excellent and the Garmin is great for when I'm training and want to analyze my performance in more detail. And it's awesome for navigation - downloading long routes I've created in MapMyRide, GoogleMaps, Bikely, et al.

So, for the forthcoming Pinarello, what do I actually need? In the last few days I've gone from putting nothing on the bike, buying an additional mount for the Garmin, buying a new 705 and even thinking about a Powertap.

My current thinking is that I want something permanently fitted so that I can track the total mileage covered by the bike. Which won't happen if I rely on the Garmin because I'll forget to charge it or just plain forget it at some point.

But as the Garmin will give me Cadence, Heart Rate, downloadable analysis etc. all I really need is a basic, simple computer to leave on the bike and give me the basics when I'm not using the Garmin.

But basic and simple just isn't sexy, is it? A fine piece of Italian conceived engineering just needs something more...

Maybe I have too much time on my hands. :oops: