Planned Investments for 2009

Compton77
Compton77 Posts: 139
edited January 2009 in Workshop
Ok, stuff the credit crunch the 6 week month is nearly over and it's payday on the horizon! So what do you have planned purchase-wise for 2009?

I'll start, maybe the Parlee Z4 i'm testing riding this week...

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Love to hear your verdict of the Z4 you're gonna be riding Compton77, very interesting ... are you getting a test ride from Bespoke?
  • Compton77
    Compton77 Posts: 139
    Yep, been talking to Barry about it for a couple of months and I picked up a demo on Saturday, and it's excellent. Came with Edge clinchers and full Record and it's a world away from my Cervelo. My bike handles well but this is a bit like the cliched "rides like it's on rails". My Cervelo handles well, no doubt about it, but the Z4 inspires so much confidence, I was decending on Sunday down some snaking hills where normally i'd be covering the hoods but this time i felt confident enough to let the bike do the work just resting my hands on the drops. No need for any braking. Those wheels just spool up to speed and seem to hold it then when you get back on the power it just eggs you on, even when your knackered you can help giving it a little bit more it just asks for it. Great fun..!

Now all i want to know is where your getting your PRZA EPS from (WW lurker!!)??
  • Mine will be replacing my Bontrager Race on my Lemond Zurich with the Dura Ace CL Clinchers.

Already done the tyres (to Pro 3). So some nice new light tubes and we'l be pretty much complete.

Carbon bar and stem in the distant future and that should be a good bike for years to come!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mathi
    mathi Posts: 110
    Sram Red and a lot of Rapha 8)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,708
    I've just spent most of my student loan getting 4 bikes running...
    When I have a bit more money, I'll be getting a set of XTR hubs with Mavic XC717 disc rims laced with DT Revolutions and shod with Conti Explorer Supersonic tyres, and if I can find some at a decent price, XTR cranks...

New roadie will be built over the weekend, fingers crossed...
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Ultegra Groupset
    Open Pro CD Rims
    DA Hubs
    Spokes
    Wheel truing/dishing stand
    Toupe Saddle
    Syntace stem and seat post.
  • Planned investments in order of priority for 2009 are:

1. more of Ruth's invaluable time and advice
    2. a pointy aero helmet
    3. a powertap, if my City Boy bonus runs to it :oops:
    4. a turbo specific TT frameset so I don't wreck my TT bike

I will squander the rest of my salary on cocaine and ladyboys 8)
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Going to tart up my Wilier a bit more. Having spent far more time on the Allez (with it's wider bars) I now know I need wider bars now on the Izoard.
    I'm thinking CInelli RAM Biancas or possibly even dumping the stem and going for the integrated RAM 2s, assuming my hands/fingers fit and like what they feel.
    An '09 Specialized Toupe Team saddle and a FSA K-Force seatpost and possibly new Ergos would be the finishing touches. Can't afford Zipps, Racing Zeros or anything like that (and frankly m riding doesn't require it).

A secondary objective is to invest in a correctly sized Campagnolo-shod hack by the end of the year. I will help justify this (I can just about get away with my 56cm Allez) by pointing out the benefits of having just the one groupset manufacturer.
  • Thooms
    Thooms Posts: 66
    In an ideal bike I'd upgrade to some bling bits on the Bianchi, then build a winter bike next winter from the bits I've taken off. Then maybe next summer, upgrade to some kind of carbon frame. A Deda Scuro HCR would be lovely...

Currently thinking Deda forks, seatpost, bars and stem, nice new wheels with some light weight tyres and a lovely '09 Centaur group - then move all my OEM Bianchi bits and '08 Mirage setup onto a nice winter frame like the Kinesis one or something.

Obviously this isn't an ideal world, and that might be a bit far-fetched. We live in hope :D
  • Hopefully an Orbea Orca with Campag Record and Bora Ultras. Then a trip to the Pyrenees to play with it!

Plus some new kit so I don't ruin the aesthetics of the bike...
  • giant_man
    edited January 2009
    [quote="Compton77"]Yep, been talking to Barry about it for a couple of months and I picked up a demo on Saturday, and it's excellent. Came with Edge clinchers and full Record and it's a world away from my Cervelo. My bike handles well but this is a bit like the cliched "rides like it's on rails". My Cervelo handles well, no doubt about it, but the Z4 inspires so much confidence, I was decending on Sunday down some snaking hills where normally i'd be covering the hoods but this time i felt confident enough to let the bike do the work just resting my hands on the drops. No need for any braking. Those wheels just spool up to speed and seem to hold it then when you get back on the power it just eggs you on, even when your knackered you can help giving it a little bit more it just asks for it. Great fun..!

Now all i want to know is where your getting your PRZA EPS from (WW lurker!!)??[/quote]

Just going through the official channels and asking the right questions I guess lol But I'm not completely sold on the EPS have to say, there is the Cervelo S3 and Giant TCR Advanced SL lurking in the background. Hmm .. decisions decisions .....
  • mostly just lusting after a Zipp sub 9 wheel..
  • Well - I've already treated myself to Mongoose Canaan Elite XC bike so getting anything else by the household auditor may be unlikely. Still, I can keep dropping hints about the Dura-Ace Carbon clinchers for the Alps but I'll be lucky if I get a 12-27 cassette!

Rik
  • I'll probably buy some RBS shares, you can buy a 10% stake in the bank with the same money you would spend for a pair of Assos bibs...
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    some woolie boolie socks !
    6288 Posts: 131
    i'm investing on my weight and fitness ,,, not because i'm cheap but because lb for lb it's the best upgrade money can't buy ...
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    yeah true - but no where near as much fun! :D
    regards,
    dbb
  • giant_man
    kingrollo wrote:
    some woolie boolie socks !

Wonderful socks!! Great buy kingrollo.