Mavic Aksium spoke question

Bassjunkieuk
Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
edited August 2009 in The workshop
I've just noticed that a couple of the spokes on my rear wheel have twisted slightly, being the flat bladed variety it was rather easy to spot!

At first there was one and now I've spotted a second and just wanted to check if it's just a s simple case of tightening them back up? I've checked the wheel for trueness and it doesn't seem to wobble against the brake blocks at all and each spoke it probably only about 20-30 degree off of flat!

I don't need to ride the bike for 2 more days so I can sort it out one evening if I do get a response and will keep an eye on it after that!

Thanks in advance!
Who's the daddy?
Twitter, Videos & Blog
Player of THE GAME
Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    The spokes are not attached to the nipple in this sense, i.e. the spoke itself can twist without tightening or loosening the nipple. So defintiely don't fiddly with the nipples (wise words always)!

What you should be able to do is get a spoke tool (my multitool has one) and position it on the nipple BUT DON'T TURN IT. With your other hand, take a thick piece of cardboard or cloth and grip the problem spoke close to the end which has twisted, and twist it back into position (the nipple should not move and if you're holding it steady it won't even if it wants to).

It can be quite tough to twist the spoke back into position (though not all are), but with a bit of grunt you should be able to. It will creak and shudder back into position rather than slide smoothly but that's okay.

If you're not comfortable with the above, don't fret about it, it will make pretty much no difference to performance and it's still as strong and true as before.

(NB all the above is my experience with bladed spokes and other people may have better advice to give!)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Actually, that's not right. The spokes have twisted without changing their tension, but they've done it by twisting the nipple. Think about it: If the spoke is twisting in the nipple, the nipple will be going up or down the thread of the spoke. If the nipple is twisting in the rim, the tension won't change.

The fix: Very, very slowly and gently turn the nipple, while also twisting the spoke as biondino suggests. You have to make sure that the spoke and the nipple turn at the same time, to make sure that the tension doesn't change.

Personally, I'd leave it.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Cheers for the advice chaps, I might leave it for the moment and see what happens. The next time I need to use the bike it's for my shortest commute so I'll try to lay some awesome down at see if any more spokes decide to move!

Oddly enough and I forgot to mention this earlier, the 2 spokes in question are next to each other on the non-drive side of the rear wheel.......I think the only reason it's bothering me and that I noticed is that the bike is stored on a ceiling hoist at the bottom of the stairs and I just caught sight of it as the right angle as I was admiring it on the way down the other night!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    Hmm, whyamihere's logic trumps mine I think... Either way, it's an easy thing to fix and even if you don't your bike will still be fine!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Look at it this way bass if enough of the spoke twist in the same direct you'll effectively have a propeller - extra speed :lol:

Off now to check my spokes.

PS. Great wheels BTW
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Wow, this is a bit of fuss for some twisted semi aero spokes! I have aksiums and know what you're talking about. I used a large adjustable spanner with nice wide jaws to straighten my Aksium spokes (either because I've done some truing, or they've moved on their own accord - like yours have). Simply close the jaws of the wrench around the flat part of the spoke as near as possible to the nipple and gently turn until straight. Use a spoke key to prevent the nipple from turning in sympathy. There's no drama, just use a nice large wrench as the large flat surface of the jaws will spread the load over a greater surface, it helps to put the jaws at a slight angle to grasp even more of the spoke at the same time.

The other technique is to do the above but turn the nipple in sympathy, it all depends if the wheel has gone out of true or not. You'll figure it out.

Dave.
  • biondino
    A lot of fuss? All you've done is give the same advice as me and whyamihere :)
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    biondino wrote:
    A lot of fuss? All you've done is give the same advice as me and whyamihere :)

haha, I suppose you're right. A simple technique like this consumes more words than it really needs to :P
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I'm sad to report that my rear Mavic wheel has several flat spots and now won't hold proper tension. :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.