Race Blade mudguards. Are they worth it?

wilwil
wilwil Posts: 374
edited January 2009 in Workshop
I'm thinking of buying some to go on my winter bike which can't take full mudguards. But I'm wondering if there is any point to them.

They don't keep any crap off the bike and the brake mechs which to me is the most important thing. They do keep it off the rider but then my clothes are usually soaking with sweat so have to be washed anyway so a bit of muddy spray up my back is not worth worrying about.

Maybe in a torrential downpour they could keep you a bit dryer but I'm struggling to see the point. Am I missing something?

I've now just seen in a review that they don't fit well on a Spech Allez because of the hour glass shape seat stays.

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    dont get them get the topeak variant they offer more protection from what i understand
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    edited January 2009
    I've found mine to be fairly useless on the Allez. They keep my back and bum dryer but the bike still takes a hammering.
    I've just had to replace the rear caliper (front already failed) due to one too many salty winter rides.

As Spasypaddy says, the Topeaks look a much better idea but no idea how they'd fit the Allez.

I'm hoping I've spent my last money on the Allez (new 105 rear brake and Gore RideOn sealed cables). Going to save up for something more suitable.
  • They will keep your back dry if it is a dry morning but there has been a wet night, but what they are really good for is if you are riding in a group they limit spray to the rider behind which is very important IMO.
    the day I stop dreaming of upgrades is the day die!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3370/3261181810_727612440a_o.jpg My Stable
  • wilwil
    wilwil Posts: 374
    Lagavulin wrote:
    I've found mine to be fairly useless on the Allez. They keep my back and bum dryer but the bike still takes a hammering.
    I've just had to replace the rear caliper (front already failed) due to one too many salty winter rides.

As Spasypaddy says, the Topeaks look a much better idea but no idea how they'd fit the Allez.

Personally I think I've spent my last money on the Allez (new 105 rear brake and Gore RideOn sealed cables). Going to save up for something more suitable.

I think the Topeaks are more for MTBs. I have already taken off the rear caliper and cleaned and lubed it to keep it going. Not sure how they can fail unless the spring beaks?
    When you say something more suitable, do you mean with proper mudguards?

I also i have spent enough money on mine. I paid £260.00 on ebay for an 08 thinking what a bargain. The night I got it I broke the left shifter (£60), I've also had to replace the front wheel and the cassette. It was also sold as a 56 but when I got it home it it was a 54, fortunately I already had a longer stem from my Izoard. Never go and buy a bike without an allen key and a tape measure.

As for keeping the spray off the rider behind, I've been behind riders with full mudguards and still been sprayed.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    what they are really good for is if you are riding in a group they limit spray to the rider behind which is very important IMO.

Huh? Even full 'guards won't properly protect the guy behind, you need extended flaps on the back guard to keep the dude behind clean.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    wilwil wrote:
    I think the Topeaks are more for MTBs. I have already taken off the rear caliper and cleaned and lubed it to keep it going. Not sure how they can fail unless the spring beaks?
    I believe it is the springs that are mainly the issue. Arms don't reset themselves (and I've stripped them down, lubed and toyed with them for hours. The rear soldiered on for about 6 months longer than the rear but following Tuesday's ride the rear appears to be shot too. When I came back from the ride my bike looked fruit pastille such was the crystalised sh!te that had formed on it.
    wilwil wrote:
    When you say something more suitable, do you mean with proper mudguards?
    Something that'll take full guards, something with a shorter TT and I'm also thinking about going fully Campag.
    I do get some silly ideas in my head sometimes though. I was tempted by the BMC RoadRacer frameset offer at Wiggle and a local bike shop has Cervelo Soloist Team framesets at £750. Both of these being ideal for fall/winter/spring. :roll:
  • I use them on my winter bike if only to stop most of the spray covering me and person behind. They are pretty useless at protecting your bike.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I found they kept moving even using zip ties.They rattle as well and quite annoying all round.
    I opted instead for a pair of the SKS chromoplastics which I just managed to squeeze on.
    So much better than race blades imo
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I use them to keep my bum dry which they do well. I'd also say they do next to nothing to help prevent soaking the person behind, I regularly ride with someone with full length guards and still get soaked by their spray if don't sit slight off to side when behind them so no chance race blades will stop it.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    They rattle and move a lot. They don't fit on my bike either, the space between the forks and oversized downtube means the front one didn't work. They do keep you drier but if you're worried about dirt and salt on your bike, the thing to do is rinse your bike when you get home, hose it down and remember to keep the parts oiled, not just the chain.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I just got a pair and I like them.

They're very light and do the job of keeping you and those behind reasonably dry.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Raceblades certainly don't keep people behind you dry! And comared to proper mudguards they don't keep you dry. They stop the brown streak up the back, but that's about it. I tried some raceblades briefly, but couldn't put up with getting a facefull of spray going down hill so got some proper mudguards (SKS chromoplastics). Even full mudguards don't keep those behind you dry unless you add a long flap....
    More problems but still living....