What to buy £1700-£2000

amochrie
amochrie Posts: 73
edited January 2009 in Workshop
Scott CR1 Pro - supposedly one of the best carbon frames on the market plus Ultegra.
Wilier Izoard - nice paint job - looks great - anything else?
Madone 5.2, Bianchi C2C...........etc etc etc...
Im almost sold on the Scott....but I thought Id put it out there to the masses....what would you buy? Do you go for a great frame and excellentish groupo with a mind to upgrade later (ie the Scott) or do you go for the lush Italian name with good looks???

Answers/recommendations on a postcard please.....

Comments

  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I've been racing a Scott CR1 the past season and it's the best frame I've ridden, in terms of the fact it's light, stiff, and the stock medium fits me very nicely. I got mine as F&F and fitted it out with Dura Ace and custom wheels. Worth looking on eBay for these as they do pop up new
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • wilwil
    wilwil Posts: 374
    amochrie wrote:
    Scott CR1 Pro - supposedly one of the best carbon frames on the market plus Ultegra.
    Wilier Izoard - nice paint job - looks great - anything else?
    Madone 5.2, Bianchi C2C...........etc etc etc...
    Im almost sold on the Scott....but I thought Id put it out there to the masses....what would you buy? Do you go for a great frame and excellentish groupo with a mind to upgrade later (ie the Scott) or do you go for the lush Italian name with good looks???

    Answers/recommendations on a postcard please.....
    I went for the latter but I wouldn't have if it had been a crap frame. I also wanted Campag. I also buy on looks so that ruled out Scott, Trek and some others and that left Wilier, Orbea Orca and Cervelo – could only afford the Wilier. I have since ridden a Cervelo RS and preferred it to the Izoard. Aren't the Scott and the Izoard comparable in price?
  • ukracer
    ukracer Posts: 421
    bro just bought izoard from rutland cycles with lots off price if any good to you
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on what you're going to use it for and your style of riding - something uber-stiff might be fine for short races but is going to beat you up for long sportives. Regardless of what some brands say, there are very few 'do-it-all' bikes - they may be good at some things but less so at others. Finally, it comes down to fit - buy something with a geometry that fits - get measured up and use that to define your choices - a great bike badly fitted will still ride and handle badly in comparison to a less good frame which fits properly.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    you have pm :D
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • The scott is priced at £2k. The Iozard can be bought for £2099 but with Ultegra its £2.5.....also, Ive sourced a Scott for only £1600 so it seems miles cheaper than the Iozard with the same groupo...its also lighter...thats why I was thinking Id go with the scott...it doesnt look anywhere near as nice but i guess when your riding up a steep as hell hill you dont care what it looks like!!
  • what is PM?
  • wilwil
    wilwil Posts: 374
    amochrie wrote:
    The scott is priced at £2k. The Iozard can be bought for £2099 but with Ultegra its £2.5.....also, Ive sourced a Scott for only £1600 so it seems miles cheaper than the Iozard with the same groupo...its also lighter...thats why I was thinking Id go with the scott...it doesnt look anywhere near as nice but i guess when your riding up a steep as hell hill you dont care what it looks like!!

    How much lighter?
  • wilwil
    wilwil Posts: 374
    ukracer wrote:
    bro just bought izoard from rutland cycles with lots off price if any good to you
    Only if you take an S or an XL. The 08 frame is identical to the 09 so it might be worth looking for an 08
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you have to ask the question then i would ask if you need to spend that much ?
    You can get great bikes for a grand and still have enough left over for a decent winter bike and decent mountain bike too.
    Or a week riding in the alps for the next three years ?

    Save your two grand until you know exactly what you want to do with it ?
    I doubt you would be able to tell a one grand bike apart from a two grand one whilst riding it.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    cougie wrote:
    If you have to ask the question then i would ask if you need to spend that much ?
    You can get great bikes for a grand and still have enough left over for a decent winter bike and decent mountain bike too.
    Or a week riding in the alps for the next three years ?

    Save your two grand until you know exactly what you want to do with it ?
    I doubt you would be able to tell a one grand bike apart from a two grand one whilst riding it.

    How can he save the £2000 grand when you have just spent £1000 of it :wink:

    I see where your coming from but in these circumstances I always say get the best bike you can afford rather than look back and regret then spend then next year saving to get the bike you wanted in the first place but I can see if you don't know what riding you are going to be doing then it's a risk but then so is going for the cheaper compromise.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Should have said I have the Scott CR1 Team and I love it. Haven't done more than 2 hours on it as I bought just as the autumn was coming in and I didn't want to kit it out with lights so limited to the odd dry weekend ride but all good so far.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    amochrie wrote:
    The scott is priced at £2k. The Iozard can be bought for £2099 but with Ultegra its £2.5.....also, Ive sourced a Scott for only £1600 so it seems miles cheaper than the Iozard with the same groupo...its also lighter...thats why I was thinking Id go with the scott...it doesnt look anywhere near as nice but i guess when your riding up a steep as hell hill you dont care what it looks like!!

    Whatever you get, make sure it fits you and get a test ride if possible to see if you actually like the bike's ride and handling.
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    What about a Giant TCR Advance 2? The frame is pretty awesome, and good value (presumably) considering it's an improved version of the frame that cost 2k last year.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • I have a Scott CR1 Pro (Ultegra - 2006 model). Love it. 8)
    We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies - it is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    incog24 wrote:
    What about a Giant TCR Advance 2? The frame is pretty awesome, and good value (presumably) considering it's an improved version of the frame that cost 2k last year.
    That's probably a great buy for the money! Safe bet on a good handling frame as well.
  • Thanks for all the info everyone...

    Another question whilst Im at it.....wheels are baffling me.... all the guys in my 3 diff LBSs keep harping on about how wheel quality is so important and how if it was their choice they would go for the bike with the best quality wheels....

    Can someone please explain how wheels can differ so much in terms of quality and what would I notice from one set to another. Ive been riding on bottom end Mavic wheels for 10 yrs on my current bike and have never ridden a bke with great wheels...

    Seems at my price level Mavic Ksyruims are the norm or Ive seen Campag Khamsin too.... havent got a clue about either and what their pros and cons are...

    Can someone help...
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    amochrie wrote:
    Thanks for all the info everyone...

    Another question whilst Im at it.....wheels are baffling me.... all the guys in my 3 diff LBSs keep harping on about how wheel quality is so important and how if it was their choice they would go for the bike with the best quality wheels....

    Can someone please explain how wheels can differ so much in terms of quality and what would I notice from one set to another. Ive been riding on bottom end Mavic wheels for 10 yrs on my current bike and have never ridden a bke with great wheels...

    Seems at my price level Mavic Ksyruims are the norm or Ive seen Campag Khamsin too.... havent got a clue about either and what their pros and cons are...

    Can someone help...

    Wheels, along with tyres, are probably the easiest way to get extra performance out of a bike however to choose a bike because of the wheels that comes with them just seems silly. If the LBS were that bothered about your wheel choice then they would recommend a bike in your price range factoring in an upgrade to a decent set of wheels.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wheels are certainly the most important thing - well after the frame of course. If you want the best performance then you should be looking at tubs but they are prob best kept for competition.