Weight limit for bikes

beefcake2
beefcake2 Posts: 157
edited January 2009 in Workshop
I have a scott speedster S2. In the handbook it says the maximum rider weight is 110KG. I weigh 117KG. Am I likely to damage the bike? Is this something to worry about or should I just keep riding and shift the weight? :?

Cheers

Beefcake2

Comments

• bigease
    bigease Posts: 86
    My experience as a rider of over 17st is that you will go through wheels quicker and they will go out of true more quickly, but apart from that my bikes seem to cope admirably.

I have a Trek Madone 5.2 frame and I am sure they would probably say that I am overweight for this bike, but it seems to be holding up fine.
    Specialized Single Cross: FCN +4 IMAGE

Trek Madone 5.2: FCN +3 IMAGE
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    bigease wrote:
    My experience as a rider of over 17st is that you will go through wheels quicker and they will go out of true more quickly, but apart from that my bikes seem to cope admirably.

I have a Trek Madone 5.2 frame and I am sure they would probably say that I am overweight for this bike, but it seems to be holding up fine.

I'm a bigger rider but hopefully reducing in size, and so long as the wheel choice is right (that is not sillylight wheels) the a good set of handbuilts should last well. Even MTB'ing I rarely had wheels go out of true - IMHO handbuilt wheels with Mavic rims are the best bet.
  • i am also a 17+ stone rider bought a trek 1.9 in june last year and had covered 1900miles and bike and wheels are great. done think your weight is a problem keep pushing..
  • You may have problems with your weight if you were to break the frame as you've exceeded they're recommended weight limit tho.I would expect you could have legal problems too if you were unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident due to the frame breaking,perhaps making you liable as your knowingly using it outside its design limits.
  • beefcake2
    beefcake2 Posts: 157
    Thanks guys! The bike is full 105 including the wheels. I think I will stick at it andd the weight should come off pretty quickly!

Cheers

Beefcake2