Sportive Wheels

curlyrobert
curlyrobert Posts: 150
edited January 2009 in Workshop
After buying my first road bike, a used 2005 Trek Madone and doing my first sportive last year I am now using my bike for commuting daily.

I am booked up for 2 sportives in 2009 and intend on doing many more as well as a few Cat 4 races. The sportives are always hilly and perhaps some alpine trips too.

Forum advice. I want to put a new set of wheels on the bike when I do events. I would like deep section but I love climbing and want durability. I was rally thinking between 4:

Fulcrum Zero
Mavic Ksyrium SL
Dura Ace Carbon Clincher
Cosmic Carbone SL

My demands of the wheel are to be suited to UK roads and weather, to feel stiff and make me go fast and lastly and perhaps most importantly to look great!

Have I missed an obvious choice?

The looking great part is why I have decided against a tune hub laced onto an open pro etc.

Budget of about £800.

On a slight tangent, but would a 2009 Madone 5.2/5 or Giant TCR Advanced 1 be a better upgrade than a new set of wheels for the 2005 Madone?

Appreciate the comments and feedback
the day I stop dreaming of upgrades is the day die!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3370/3261181810_727612440a_o.jpg My Stable

Comments

• Also include Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Wheels to the mix, although everything else is Ultegra and I know nothing about them or have never seen anyone ride them.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    +1 for the DAs, loving them!
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    no racing for me these days - just sportives. You should have a look at the Easton range. I have a pair of EA70s on my Van Nick and am very happy with them. Very light, a sensible amount of spokes and hand-built by humans (which is rare these days, for a factory wheelset). You should be able to get a pair for around £260 - why pay more...
  • wjws
    wjws Posts: 140
    Think you are crazy not going for tune hub / open pro combo, but each to their own...
  • wjws
    PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:00 pm Post subject:
    Think you are crazy not going for tune hub / open pro combo, but each to their own...

I agree, It is the sensible way to go, but 32 regular spokes will never look as good as a factory built bladed spoke wheel... Yep - I actually just said that.

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    If you look back through the forum this had been asked many times before.
  • DA's. I posted a cheapie site with a link a month or so ago.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The looking great part is why I have decided against a tune hub laced onto an open pro etc..

...On a slight tangent, but would a 2009 Madone 5.2/5 or Giant TCR Advanced 1 be a better upgrade than a new set of wheels for the 2005 Madone?
    You are worried about the looks of your wheels but can't decide between a Trek or a Giant? I don't mean any offence but that's like worrying about what wheels to put on a Ford or a Vauxhall you know :wink:
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Kléber wrote:
    The looking great part is why I have decided against a tune hub laced onto an open pro etc..

...On a slight tangent, but would a 2009 Madone 5.2/5 or Giant TCR Advanced 1 be a better upgrade than a new set of wheels for the 2005 Madone?
    You are worried about the looks of your wheels but can't decide between a Trek or a Giant? I don't mean any offence but that's like worrying about what wheels to put on a Ford or a Vauxhall you know :wink:

Well said :lol:
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • You are worried about the looks of your wheels but can't decide between a Trek or a Giant? I don't mean any offence but that's like worrying about what wheels to put on a Ford or a Vauxhall you know Wink

I guess this means that we all have different taste. The Madone and Giant are Tour proven bikes and I think look great (Although the Giant logo is overpowering), The Madone 5.2 won the 2007TDF, wouldn't see a Vauxhall or Ford being best in racing class for too often. Also add that recently top gear said Vauxhall are the only motor company that don't make an ugly looking car. Their words not mine....

The Giant and Trek pose very good value for money, Of course I would love a Prince or Nago, but to get something as good performance wise then a mass produced bike will always be a cost effective option.

So I guess the the 2nd part of my question was, " Would upgrading wheels on my current bike be more beneficial than upgrading to a 09 Bike?"

• I must admit that whilst I do not like the 'Trek' brand I do like the look of them.. I think they look pretty nice these days. My mate has a Madone and loves it.

I would definetly go for the wheel upgrade over a new bike unless your current one is trashed.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I can not speak about the 2005 Madone but after riding a 2000 5000 series for over 7 years I got a 5.2 at the end of 2007. The difference is big in terms of weight and comfort. It is also stiffer. The result was 5 min off my previous best time in the Circuit of the Dales hilly 50 TT last April. I was using the same wheels as previously (Rolf Vector Comp). The main difference was being able to keep the power on over the rather poor roads the event is run on rather than being rattled about. The bike is also about a kilo lighter and based on freewheeling versus other riders I think it is more aero. (very non scientific I know but it seems right).
    The wheels would be the cheaper option. Would you be getting a complete bike or just a frame? Would you intend to keep or sell your current one? The question is not clear cut but in terms of performance and pleasure I think a bike update would be best. The kit on the 5.2 is fine for sportives. I do not even bother putting my old 'climbing wheels' (Rolf Sestrieres) on as the Bontis are only a little heavier and ride well. Apart from the saddle the bike is stock.
    I see the Ford comparison as a bit of a complement. The Mondeo has been one of the best cars in its class for years. We can not all afford or even want a Ferrari.
  • John.T

Thanks, excellent reply. I would be buying a complete bike and using my 05 madone for commuting.

Perhaps the solution would be to go with the 09 5.2 Pro and then start saving for the wheels, or get the wheels and start saving for the bike. If they are on the mind the chances are the both will arrive.

and who wants a Farrari.

• John.T
    There are some good offers out there on 2008 models at around £1800. Check your position. You may be as well off with the Performance model. Same geometry and handling but 3cm longer head tube. I went for that as I don't like too many spacers. Also make sure you get the right length seat mast as they are expensive. I could have used either one but the 160mm sits right in the middle of the adjustment. See my pics.
  • Hey John, that Madone looks very nice, I see what you mean with the seat mast, I need to try a pro against a regular. I really like riding in a low aggressive position and that is why I like Trek, but I must admit I have lower back issues, but I have never had to abandon a 100 mile plus ride because of it. I might try pilates amd crunches to fix that issue.

It is funny - I almost bought a Tricross SS - talk about a super niche!

And I had a Superlight back in 2005! great minds think alike!

Is yours a performanceor pro? I am pretty sure I need one of those.

Just to let you know - your 5200 is the bike that Lance Armstrong liked more than any other of his Madones that he rode to victory on 7 occasions. (Not bad for a Vauxford...)

• John.T
    The 5.2 is a Performance model. I went for the set up I have because I am used to using a 120mm stem and went by TT length to decide on frame size. Basically I am treating it as a compact frame. It works for me. I could have gone for a 58 Pro with a 110mm stem but I think the longer seat mast is a bit more comfortable.
    Pic here in TT action during the C of the Dales. Doing about 40 mph here.
    http://martin.photium.com/photo984065.html
    The 5200 was in original USPS colours until recently. It was not worth selling and I still like it so I did it up a bit. Gets used on those days I don't want to get the 5.2 dirty.