bike keeps slipping out of gear - help!

vertigoscene
vertigoscene Posts: 56
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hello All

I'm still relatively new to this cycling lark, and don't know much about bike maintenance. I've got a relatively new bike, which has just developed a problem over the last couple of days.

I'm finding that the bike keeps slipping out of it's gear in the rear cassette when I change over - this only occurs in 1 or 2 of the middle gears in the rear, but is happening pretty regularly. I've had the bike only a few weeks and was fine until yesterday, so not sure what's going on.

If it helps, I'm currently riding a road bike with shimano gears 105 (triple) at the front with a ultegra rear mech.

Any ideas of what it could be? I think I might have to take it into the LBS, but want to know if there is an obvious explanation before I do.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    On the rear mech you will see an adjuster which the cable goes into. You just need to give it a bit of a twist, probably about a quarter of a turn anticlockwise (looking from the back of the bike).

The reason this is happening is that cables stretch slightly when they're first installed, knocking the indexing out. You just need to adjust the tension slightly to compensate.

Full details on rear mech indexing are here: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64