exploding inner

dave friend
dave friend Posts: 46
edited January 2009 in Workshop
just pumped up my tyres before heading out, and was checking over the rest of the bike before the rear inner exploded tearing part of the tyre and pretty much defening me for a few minutes.
the tyre was a bit worn and a new one was on the shopping list but i wouldn't have expected that as a result.

what happened??

Dave

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Over inflation ? Weak inner tube ? Was it pinched on the tyre ?

It happens from time to time - but luckily not very often. What PSI do you use ? I think 100 PSI is usually plenty.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    Are they the original ones that came with your bike? The inner tubes that came pre-installed on my bianchi were pretty sub-standard, going by the fact that both exploded in the same manner you describe...
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • cakewalk
    cakewalk Posts: 220
    Slightly different situation (16" Wheel Dahon), same symptom Split wheel rim.
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    brakes rubbing on tyre?

it does happen sometimes.
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    Tyres are pretty tough, tubes aren't. The couple of times this has happened to me, it's because the tyre has come away from the rim, allowing the tube instant expansion into free space. Absolutely sh*t myself.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Are you sure the tyre wasn't torn already? This can cause the tube to "explode".
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    had this with my fixie the other day - i think it was overinflation. Resulted in a split rim also... still, the rebuilt wheel is sweet as :)
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I've seen this with with new inner tubes and tyres many times.Even with a new tyre their is enough force to blow it apart.

Most rims that go are probably the cause of the blowout anyway.Rims splits, tube get caught on sheared metal and blows.
    A good reason to check rim wear on a regular basis.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I agree - its not the innertube exploding and breaking the rim - more likely the rim has been worn by braking to dangerous thinness.

Watch your tyre pressures (I know some tyres can take a higher max than the wheel rims) and check the rims for wear. Newer rims come with wear indicators.