SRAM Force Crank Compatible with 2008 Dura Ace Group?

weeve
weeve Posts: 393
edited January 2009 in Workshop
Can anyone advise. Sick of the lack of trimming and double tap on my 2008 SRAM force. Rather than buy new RED/FORCE front D and shifters I can get a full set of 2008 Dura Ace....I want to keep the compact Force crank though ....will the Shimano suite of stuff work and trim with the Force crank? Real facts rather than speculation appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,708
    Yes.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Sorry for the hijack - will SRAM cranks also work with shimano BBs? I've bought a Red chainset thinking they came with the BB but it hasn't (I thought the price was low!) so now need to get one.

Do I 'need' to get a GXP BB or can I use a Shimano HTII BB (or similar compatible one)?

Ta
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    will SRAM cranks also work with shimano BBs?

yes

both run a 24mm spindle

see http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... =77&t=5468 for a good crankset test
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • weeve
    really? no ramping difficulties?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    weeve wrote:
    really? no ramping difficulties?

A Chainset is a chainset, and it would be fine. However if you are going to get a full set of DA, I'd probably use the DA cranks as they generally considered to some of the best cranks around. far better than the force crank IMO.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    maddog 2 wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    will SRAM cranks also work with shimano BBs?
    yes

both run a 24mm spindle

see http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... =77&t=5468 for a good crankset test
    Actually a bit of searching says otherwise - same spindle but the spacing is different (don't ask me to explain cos I'm not sure!). Hope even sell a Truvativ / SRAM adaptor for their new BB so there must be a difference.
  • weeve
    re: the hi-jack you need a GXP BB - tried for myself - felt like cycling in treacle

re: swapping over to dura ace complete....running a compact for the etape so only r700 or new dura ace 2009 have these...oh and as a bike tart witha black bike the silver looks shxt on my build

so ...definately no ramping issues then....anyone actually used such a combined set up?..
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I knew that the mtb Truvativ GXP were different but I didn't think the SRAM's one were different too. But thinking about it, they are the same company these days so it would make sense.

You could go berserk and get a SRAM Red.....

27855.jpg
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer