CycleFit or Bespoke/Retul bike fit?

Yellow Cliff
Yellow Cliff Posts: 231
edited January 2009 in Workshop
Following long term injury (knee and hip) I am now getting back to the bike, but I think a bike fit is in order to try and prevent future problems. I am looking for a professional bike fit and have narrowed it down to CycleFit and Bespoke/Retul. At present I favour the Retul, as the service at Bespoke seems to get glowing reviews... But I would like to hear more.

Please help me decide!

Comments

• bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 995
    I can only comment on the Cyclefit service, I too was having knee problems so i flew over to London to get a professional fitting done to see if this could help me. but I'm sorry to report that i felt it to be a wast of time and money, my new position left me with very numb hands and soar shoulders and neck and the knee pain was no better, i emailed Cyclefit to see if they could help in any way but after two weeks i never received a reply so i ended up ringing them and they wanted me to take photos or a video of me on the bike and send it to them so they could look at my new position on the bike, i never done this so i went back to my old position and shortly after that i changed my pedals to Speedplay zero the pain has reduced a lot but I'm still not pain free.
    my local bike shop is using the Specialized bike fitting method i might give this a try in the coming weeks.
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Bikeit65 wrote:
    I can only comment on the Cyclefit service, I too was having knee problems so i flew over to London to get a professional fitting done to see if this could help me. but I'm sorry to report that i felt it to be a wast of time and money, my new position left me with very numb hands and soar shoulders and neck and the knee pain was no better, i emailed Cyclefit to see if they could help in any way but after two weeks i never received a reply so i ended up ringing them and they wanted me to take photos or a video of me on the bike and send it to them so they could look at my new position on the bike, i never done this so i went back to my old position and shortly after that i changed my pedals to Speedplay zero the pain has reduced a lot but I'm still not pain free.
    my local bike shop is using the Specialized bike fitting method i might give this a try in the coming weeks.

That'll be McConvey's then. If you do get it done please report back as I would be interested in this but with no real user reports on this I didn't really want to spend a lot of money on it to be in effect a guinea pig for them as this such a new bike fitting system.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Following long term injury (knee and hip) I am now getting back to the bike, but I think a bike fit is in order to try and prevent future problems. I am looking for a professional bike fit and have narrowed it down to CycleFit and Bespoke/Retul. At present I favour the Retul, as the service at Bespoke seems to get glowing reviews... But I would like to hear more.

Please help me decide!

my partner uses Cyclefit and they sorted out a couple of issues that enabled her to enjoy cycling without discomfort. Really they just confirmed what she already suspected but were able to take it further using video analysis. Can't comment about Bespoke except that I wanted to buy sore Arundel cages (expensive) from him and despite a number of phone calls i ended getting them shipped from the US as he never replied.
    M.Rushton
  • Not as positive as I expected! Pushes me more in the direction of Bespoke, even if they aren't always responsive. Bloody expensive if it doesn't help though!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313
    If you do a search you'll find a lot of info on Cyclefit. Here's one good thread;

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12558797
  • Yup - not much on bespoke though. I get the impression that there is one fitter at Bespoke and 6 (?) at Cyclefit - since the fit session seems to be really critical on the fitter, I am wondering if all Cyclefit staff are equal, or if I should ask for a specific one, or use Bespoke if the guy there is good.
  • mathi
    mathi Posts: 110
    Barry at Bespoke is a top fella that knows his stuff , give him a ring and have a chat first i am sure he will be very helpfull :wink:
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    All the fitters at C-fit (4 I think) have to attend the Serotta fitting school to be accredited to fit the rider to the bike.
    M.Rushton
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    mrushton wrote:
    All the fitters at C-fit (4 I think) have to attend the Serotta fitting school to be accredited to fit the rider to the bike.

Yeah but we all know that there some people that are just better at getting things done. The fitting is a two way process and whilst they might understand all the theory every person may not be as good at listening to and interpreting rider feedback as well as others and as a consequence the fitting just may not be as good and as any of us that suffers knows the slightest little thing wrong can manifest as a big prob on the bike. I personally would be interested in knowing how they were going to handle any problems I found with the new setup. If I pay £175 to get a fitting I want to know that I will not be abandoned and I would make it very clear to whomever the OP does go for that they are not willing to be abandoned and get guarantees up front that there concerns will be give due consideration.
  • Yeah but we all know that there some people that are just better at getting things done. The fitting is a two way process and whilst they might understand all the theory every person may not be as good at listening to and interpreting rider feedback as well as others and as a consequence the fitting just may not be as good and as any of us that suffers knows the slightest little thing wrong can manifest as a big prob on the bike.

This hits the nail on the head. Definately something to discuss with them before I book!
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I used Cyclefit and ended up with a more comfortable/efficient riding position.

Biggest single change was getting my legs properly measured and some wedges fitted to my shoes to align feet and balance out the fact that one leg is longer than another.

Difference was very noticeable, hard to describe but pedalling became much smoother and, for same power, feels much easier. Practical outcome when riding fixed is that 10%+ downhills hold no fear even at 150rpm.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • I've done both and on balance would recommend Barry and the Retul system. Clearly with either, if it's not working out you should go back and I'm sure either will review their advice with you. If you don't pursue it (sending in photos or video for their further advice if you can't attend in person) it's kind of your problem rather than theirs I'd say.

It's pretty critical to take your bike and have them adjust it to their suggested measurements. CycleFit do a 1 hour 'refresher' for £30 if you've done a fit and need further advice later on and I'm sure Barry will offer something similar.

Unless their recommendations are causing you serious pain I'd also suggest sticking with it for 3 weeks without tweaking to see how it goes. It can take a while to adapt to the changes and what feels wrong right away may actually be better as you get used to it.
  • Another vote for Barry. The Retul system is obviously higher tech than the method Cyclefit use. That may or may not appeal. To my mind having some measurement of how you ride and comparing that to normal ranges was useful in convincing me to make some changes . Quite possibly though a fitter could have suggested the same changes by just watching me ride.

Lots of people who have been to Cyclefit emerge with a "high and short" type fit. That could well be sample bias at work, but I was a bit wary of it being a way to make people comfortable that fails to optimize efficiency. I didn't want this (I wasn't in any pain with my existing position) ... I wanted to see how aerodynamic I could be while maintaining or improving comfort and power output.
  • Thanks for the replies. Booked in at Bespoke now! not sure if it is owrth taking my bike to the fitting - it would be a real hassle to get it there and I can make the changes at home. I guess any components I would choose to change the position would also be cheaper (Bespoke does look expensive!).
  • I would definitely take your bike. If a fitter sets your bike up they have to take end to end responsibility for it. If you do it, there's more scope for it to be wrong and you to get frustrated or visit again. Barry actually lent me an inline post when he did my fit. If you have spare stems or posts knocking about just take them along with you and if not at least you will know with confidence what you need to buy to get your fit right yourself.

Good luck with it and I hope it helps restore the fun to your cycling!
  • Thanks for the replies. Booked in at Bespoke now! not sure if it is owrth taking my bike to the fitting - it would be a real hassle to get it there and I can make the changes at home. I guess any components I would choose to change the position would also be cheaper (Bespoke does look expensive!).

you are far better off taking your bike in. put yourself in barry's shoes and imagine being described a bike vs. having the rider and bike there in the store
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Can I ask those who have used Bespoke whether the £175 price is all inclusive or do you need to budget for extra bits and pieces that may need to be fitted to your bike?

I'm probably going to book a session with them, but £175 is a lot of money for me and if it could potentially become a lot more expensive I may have to reconsider.
  • Well if you need new handlebars you'll have to buy some. I did need some but Barry pointed me to some on the web and I went off to purchase them. It was so refreshing to really feel like your best interests where at heart and you were taken seriously as a cyclist rather than force fed whatever was in stock.
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    That's reassuring to know! Their products look very high-end, so I was a bit worried about feeling pressed into getting some carbon bling.
    Do they have an after-care service should you need to go back for some tweaks, or is this extra?
  • I had several emails with Barry after, he spent a lot of time with me FOC