Sheared thread on eyelet - Help!

DCulley
DCulley Posts: 13
edited January 2009 in The workshop
Hi,

I'm sure this has been addressed before by someone but I would appreciate some help. I appear to have sheared half the thread out of a eyelet on my back fork where my pannier rack is bolted to the back fork.

As far as I know there are two options to me: repair the thread or drill out the remaining thread and use a longer bolt and locking nut.

Any advice?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Longer bolt will be the quickest/easiest option. Repairing the threadwill mean a trip to a frame repairer/builder and a respray of the area.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • hi you could get it time serted which a car place or motorbike shop could do for you or even me! :D . it basically means drilling out old thread , and putting a insert in which i have used on loads of stuff.
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    DCulley wrote:
    I'm sure this has been addressed before by someone but I would appreciate some help. I appear to have sheared half the thread out of a eyelet on my back fork where my pannier rack is bolted to the back fork.
    Assuming that you've just stripped the thread in the eyelet (rather than having sheared off part of the screw in the eyelet), you can:
      1) Drill the hole out and put a bolt through it, using a washer and
    "Nyloc" nut or equivalent on the other side, assuming there's sufficent clearance.
    2) Drill it out and use a tap to cut a new thread, and use a larger screw to secure your rack.Option 1 is probably simpler, and might be more secure, especially if your eyelet is drilled in aluminium.