Chainset upgrade worthwhile?

cyclingpunk
cyclingpunk Posts: 368
edited January 2009 in Workshop
I have been wanting to upgrade my Truvativ that came on my Cayo mainly because I do not like the way it looks. The rest of the bike is Ultegra SL, Dura ace wheels and Ritchey WCS finishing kit. Is upgrading the Truvativ worthwhile before it "needs" replacing or should I put up with it's looks for now?

If I upgrade I would consider black 105, Ultgra SL, SRAM force or Truvativ Rolleur carbon. I thing SRAM has it on weight, 105 price and SL for matching my groupset. Is it worth it and if so which one would you plump for?

Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    nah - change it - not liking the looks is a perfectly acceptable reason to upgrade your bike - in fact it is the most important one!!

I'd go for ultegra SL to match the rest of the bike - always nice to have a full groupset in my opinion. in second place (for me) would be the truvative carbon as it is a carbon and a "3rd party" - i.e. groupset independant so would look OK - personally I think SRAm would look wrong on an ultegra group bike.

(as a side - are the brake calipers ultrgra SL? - cos if not then you know you will NEED to change them too!)
  • Yea the brakes are SL too. The Truv carbon is cheaper than the SL as it is half price so had me tempted. The SL makes sense and might look better overall though. Glad it is ok to upgrade just for looks :lol:
  • My riding partner owns a Focus Cayo and the only part I visually dislike is....the Truvativ chainset!
    The Ultegra SL would look just fine.

Stu
    Living in East Kent has it's perks. France is 21 miles away. A very different riding experience!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    What about the DA 7800 chainsets? You get them pretty cheap these days, and they are one of the best chainsets on the market.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I need my compact unfortunatly. Silly legs rule this!

Need to change the seatpost clamp too. It looks horrid!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    you need to be careful

the seatpost clamp can ruin the lines of the whole bike - this is very serious

get it changed

:D
  • I have been wanting to upgrade my Truvativ that came on my Cayo mainly because I do not like the way it looks. The rest of the bike is Ultegra SL, Dura ace wheels and Ritchey WCS finishing kit. Is upgrading the Truvativ worthwhile before it "needs" replacing or should I put up with it's looks for now?

If I upgrade I would consider black 105, Ultgra SL, SRAM force or Truvativ Rolleur carbon. I thing SRAM has it on weight, 105 price and SL for matching my groupset. Is it worth it and if so which one would you plump for?

Many thanks for any advice.

Hi there.

I'll respectfully disagree with the other replies...

If you can afford to fritter money away just to make something perfectly functional look better then, yes change it.

Otherwise save you money or spend it on something that might actually improve your bike's performance.

Cheers, Andy
  • gkerr4 wrote:
    you need to be careful

the seatpost clamp can ruin the lines of the whole bike - this is very serious

get it changed

:D

:lol: I just do not know what they were thinking.. Silver??!
  • Andy, your comments are noted. I was thinking not to bother for that reason but it is the last change I think I will make to this bike and I am guessing here but the Truv seems to be pretty bulky so it should save me some last few grams too.

Maybe I am just addicted to changing stuff!