SPD and Shoes DHB R1?

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited January 2009 in Workshop
I am going to finally go clipless. Will either get M540 or M545 but wondered what shoes to get.

Wiggle do a road shoe that is SPD compatible DHB R1 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_R ... 360033177/. Anyone here got any experience of these? Or should I go down the MTB shoe route?

I don't want to spend too much on my 1st pair as i might not like clipless.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    On the pedals the M520 are an absolute bargain £17.95 delivered. I have used them as well as XTR M970 and functionally they are very similar, though they may not last so long. They are not drastically heavier either. Might be worth getting these first if you are unsure if you are going to stick with them.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the M520's are just as good as the 540's in my experience - not seen the 545's you mention at al - but the 520's are a bargain at £17.50

as for shoes - well, the benefit of using plain SPD's is that you can put them in shoes you can walk in - if you are going for the DHB shoes you might as well go for more 'road' oriented pedals too - such as SPD-SL

or go for shoes that you can walk in and put the SPD cleat in the recess.

on my MTB and fixed - both of which sometimes get roped into commutting / nipping to shops / family ride etc - I have the M520 pedals and these 'sonoma' leisure type shoes:
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id37597.html

ok - they're not as stiff as a proper road shoe (on my road bikes I use Specialized 'sport' road shoes and Time Xen pedals) but you can wander about in them - which you won't be able to do with the DHB's

up to you though..
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Ive been thinking of exactly the same combo as you, even asked the same question somewhere :)

Personally, I like the dhb R1's, they look good and have multiple fits, SPD, SPD-SL and Look. Im thinking of the M520's on both my road bike and MTB, then in future I may get some SPD-SL or Look pedals if im not happy these on the road bike and keep the others as spares. For the money you can't go wrong!

I guess the main thing is finding somewhere to try the shoes on incase the size isnt quite right. If you do buy these please let me know what they are like as I wont be getting them for at least a month or 2.
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • doobie919
    doobie919 Posts: 119
    +1 on trying the shoes on before you buy. I ordered some shoes from Performance for my MTB when I lived in the states and they were the right size, but the sizing didn't match my foot shape and they ended up hurting my feet, and now i'm having to invest in some new shoes.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)
  • doobie919
    doobie919 Posts: 119
    +1 on trying the shoes on before you buy. I ordered some shoes from Performance for my MTB when I lived in the states and they were the right size, but the sizing didn't match my foot shape and they ended up hurting my feet, and now i'm having to invest in some new shoes.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Gav888 wrote:
    Ive been thinking of exactly the same combo as you, even asked the same question somewhere :)

Personally, I like the dhb R1's, they look good and have multiple fits, SPD, SPD-SL and Look. Im thinking of the M520's on both my road bike and MTB, then in future I may get some SPD-SL or Look pedals if im not happy these on the road bike and keep the others as spares. For the money you can't go wrong!

I guess the main thing is finding somewhere to try the shoes on incase the size isnt quite right. If you do buy these please let me know what they are like as I wont be getting them for at least a month or 2.

I just got from Evans as i still had a 15% voucher and got some specialized bg sport MTB. I did see a nice pair and Specialized road shoes but they were so slippery and as i have to carry my bike down and up 2 flights of external stairs i could just see myself going arse over tit.

I opted for the M540 pedal and SH56 cleats so wish me luck.