Winter hack

1892 Posts: 1,690
edited January 2009 in Workshop
Hi I'm looking to get a new frame / wheels to replace my old mountain bike whilst my good bike is tucked up for the winter anybody seen any good bargains worth considering?

Thanks for any advice in advance
Justice for the 96

Comments

• i'd go with a ribble winter frame for £120 you get frame, and free carbon forks!! you do have to buy a headset though (but they fit it for free) the headset costs £20
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • I done the same as MTBHenry, and got the frame/fork deal from Ribble. Also a headset, which I fitted myself, and a hollowtech bottom bracket which they fitted, so that I didn't have to 'face' the frame.

Got some Mavic Aksiums, as they're pretty much bombproof, and easily servicable.

Just one thing though, have good check of the frame as soon as it's out of the box. Mine had a slight ding in the headtube which meant I couldn't fit the headset. Worthwhile asking them to fit the headset like MTBHenry did.

Can't argue with the frame and carbon fork for £130. I even got free mudguards with mine.
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    Thanks for the info
    Justice for the 96
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited January 2009
    i'd go with a ribble winter frame for £120 you get frame, and free carbon forks!! you do have to buy a headset though (but they fit it for free) the headset costs £20

Woah that is awesome, makes me think I want to build a winter bike now, wonder how much I would need for a decent one with the ribble winter frame.

Are the forks free on the ribble bike builder as no indication they are on there?
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I've just built up my own Kinesis TK.

However, the complete bike price looks pretty good:

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/product.php?id=39

It's been fantastic; almost too good for a winter hack!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Similar to MTBHenry and Cumbrianman, I got the Ribble winter frame and Alpina carbon forks - LBS swapped out my existing frame and put the new Ribble frameset in for £45 - I've found the Ribble perfectly adequate - it's heavier than quoted, but its stiff enough and rides ok. Excellent value for money though and a good buy if you're on a budget. If you want to pay more money, have a look at what Nuggs mentioned, ie the Racelight TK 08.
  • Anonymous
    So where is this ribble frame with free carbon fork at?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Ribble frame from Ribble Cycles - but this is also worth a look if the Ribble geometry doesn't suit...

http://www.surosa.co.uk/detail.aspx?ID=3566
  • Anonymous
    That is VERY tempting, although my mum says don't be stupid I already have 2 bikes, I don't need 3 :\
  • Nuggs
    willhub wrote:
    That is VERY tempting, although my mum says don't be stupid I already have 2 bikes, I don't need 3 :\
    She clearly doesn't know her own mind. Ignore her.

:wink:
  • Anonymous
    Well if the opportunity arises in the coming months I'll be looking for a 3rd bike, maybe I should go for a single speed though :lol:

I'd only be looking around £400 max though for single speed or even 9/10spd. I'm wanting to do track cycling but it's fully booked so no point :P
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    3 Bikes???? You have 3 bikes????

I have 5 so you clearly need at least one more :D
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    willhub wrote:
    So where is this ribble frame with free carbon fork at?

Here's the page:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... IBBFRAW200

I bought mine "individually" as a "frameset" & headset (without using BikeBuilder) - not sure how the "free forks" offer fits into the Bike Builder page etc though (presumably it does?).
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I bought the frameset and built it up with various parts out the toolbox and ebay. About £600 for Frameset/Ventos/Centaur shifters and brakes/Veloce mechs/FSA gossamer chainset/etc. Nothing I'd consider cheap and nasty - I've seen plenty of £1000+ bikes with worse bits.

Definitely far better value than the prebuilt Ribble bikes - although you do need to know what you are doing and looking for, other it could end up with stuff that doesn't really work.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    I'm gonna have to save up, 600 quid seems to be the safe limit, to give me a slight bit of freedom it seems.

I'm sure my Genesis Aether will last me until summer though :)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    willhub wrote:
    I'm gonna have to save up, 600 quid seems to be the safe limit, to give me a slight bit of freedom it seems.

Remember you'll need to get tools you probably haven't got
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    willhub wrote:

Surely I wont need like another 20 different tools though? maybe only a couple?
  • Nuggs
    willhub wrote:
    willhub wrote:

Surely I wont need like another 20 different tools though? maybe only a couple?
    Get the headset, BB and cranks fitted and all you'll need is:

allen keys
    screwdrivers
    cable cutters
    craft knife (for bar tape)
    chain tool
    threadlocker
    anti-seize grease

A torque wrench is ohsohandy for self-builds but provided you're not a pansy or a bear, you'll (probably) be fine without.
  • Anonymous
    Tools I have are:

Cable cutters
    Crank tool for external BB
    Chain whip
    Adjustable giant spanner
    lithium grease
    allen keys
    screwdrivers
    knife
    Special tool for removing and fitting cassette.

So should not need much more? I need a torque wrench to be on safe side, aswell as cone wrenches too.