How cold is it!!!!!!!!!!!!

LordBanks
LordBanks Posts: 358
edited January 2009 in MTB general
I was out this morning for a jaunt, trying my new clipless pedals and other chrimbo prezzies.

I went to change down a gear on the front rings and nothing happened, chain was still on the outer ring so i had to just try to get to the top without stalling, obviously i didn't and being new to clipless, you guessed it, stalled, couldn't get my feet out and down i went, bloody hurt too because the ground was rocky and the bits that weren't were frozen.

Anyway, so i get up and try to see whats up with my front gears. I followed the cabling and everything seemed fine, i stood for a bit trying to figure it out, then i noticed that the gear cables were FROZEN to the downtube! It was relentless. It was about a quarter of an inch thick of muddy water covering nearly all of the underside of the tubing, BONKERS!!

This happened to anyone else before??

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    -5 here at the moment!
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    The frost hasn't lifted all day here. Was out up the hills at 8.30 this morning. Glad I put on the extra coat :) but I love these cold and frosty mornings.

Was going very well until my freehub started slipping. At least it waited until I got to the top before going completely. :x
  • It was canny mental like, when i got home i had a good look over my bike, there was ice all over it.

Mind, my brakes were on top form, must have been the cold.
  • no matter which gloves i use they still turn blue and go numb!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Same for bike shorts...
  • -liam-
    george.b wrote:
    no matter which gloves i use they still turn blue and go numb!

Don't know if it is just me, but I have a pair of kona branded padded gloves that cost me about 12 quid off ebay and I don't feel the cold in my fingers at all once I get warmed up.
  • -liam-
    supersonic wrote:
    Same for bike shorts...

Sod shorts !!

Padded shorts under lycra three quarters under adidas waterproof trackie bottoms :D
  • I used my new seal skinz gloves this morning and they worked better than any other glove I've had as far as warmth is concerned.. Not quite perfect though.

The cost wasn't a problem for my commute this morning at 3am, although my lights reflecting off the ice did make things abit 'bright'.

Only bad thing about the cold is all the water pipes on my marina have frozen.. So guess who's without running water since yesterday morning.
  • It wasn't much colder than normal to be honest, it was really thick the ice, enough to freeze my gear cables to the tubing!

My fingers felt like id broken them for the first 30 mins or so too :cry:

Papa Smurf wrote:
    Only bad thing about the cold is all the water pipes on my marina have frozen.. So guess who's without running water since yesterday morning.

Cool, do you live on a boat??
  • how colds cold ? i would say when your gatorade freeze's in a 800ml bottle like they did today
  • Yeah, my water froze a few times in my camel back tube, had to chew it out of the mouth bit, was nice though.
  • -liam-
    It has been fantastic for over a week.
    Crisp, cold, bright and perfectly windless days.
    BLISS

You are right there. Theres been no rain either so most of my local trails are drying up nicely as well.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    I was also out this morning and it was biting! FIngers and toes were hurting. The mud on the ground that wasnt already frozen, froze to my frame, my camelbak tube iced up and shifting was anyones guess. Havent warmed up yet!!
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • i was sweating from heat after pedalling down my local trails even though it is quite cold, but it doesnt stop me from getting out on my bike :D
  • aye the colds not so bad, better than the pishin rain.

its just starting to frost up here, just in time for the cycle home from work, ive gotta pass through one end of the massive street party too, should be interesting
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • been freezing here for the past two days and is due to hit -4 and some people are saying it may hit -13 but thats probably (hopefully) just a rumour

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • I'm still going out tomorrow though, hangover or not.

Have a good new year all, i'm of to get hammered. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • -liam-
    I'm not...

Not without a back wheel anyway :D Could be interesting.

HNY!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    It's been touching -20C here a few times during the last couple of weeks, combined with a couple of foot of snow it's turbo trainer time.
  • -liam-
    Blimey, whats the matter with you ?

Are you man or mouse ? ;)

20 below you say ? Jeez, never mind the turbo trainer, it would take me a serious effort to drag myself out of bed :D
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    The best part is nasal hair starts to stick together at those temps, when I breathe it feels like someone is trying to pull it all out - not nice at all!

Never thought I'd miss the Cumbrian weather!
  • went to chill factor for a warm today.
    It's a one horse town and somebody shot the horse,
  • i had the bonus of snow on my moring ride i love the crunching and the ability to drift corners its so fun!!! damm havin to go to work!!!
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • me and a friend went out today! i was ok for about 1 1/2 hours but after that my feet and fingers were hurting! we did about 10/12 miles and found some new routes today so good fun 8)

oh my forks were solid when i got home :o
  • It was -5 today at Whinlatter but it was bloody fantastic! The views over the low lying cloud from the top of the ridges were superb.
  • KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    LordBanks wrote:
    Yeah, my water froze a few times in my camel back tube, had to chew it out of the mouth bit, was nice though.

Oh yeah, had me a Slush Puppy or 2 this afternoon.
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    got down to -7.3 here early tuesday morning.
    Was about -4 when i left for work, as said above its fantasic to ride in. The old pinkies got a bit painfull though.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Never got above -2° here yesterday. Here's some pics of yesterday morning's ride - given the conditions I think that my choice of the SubZero as yesterday's bike was quite appropriate!

myst_mist.jpg

shedd_03.jpg

cant_02.jpg

cant_01.jpg
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • manc1
    manc1 Posts: 24
    Them pictures have just made me want to go out on my bike. Now to try turn off the xbox and get my arse in gear!
    Will swap family and friends for a 1993 Klien Attitude.