Good wheel builder

gibbon365
gibbon365 Posts: 151
edited January 2009 in Workshop
I know exactly what i want, Red tune hubs, built with dt swiss 1.1 28H rims, cx ray spokes, and red dt swiss alloy nipples. from various retailers the parts come out at about £260, i just need recommendations of good wheel builders and approx prices please.

i live in the bristol area.

Comments

• kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    try;
    http://www.rstocker.freeserve.co.uk/harry.htm

Produces excellent wheels, have several pairs :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    All I can think of is ask in the bike shops in Brizzle, sometimes there are cards etc from people who wheel build. The only name I can put forward is a bloke called Hall Ford who has a shop in Eastgate shopping centre :twisted:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Might be worth calling Argos Cycles in Bristol and asking who they would use. They are really frame builders, but they do renovate complete bikes. One would expect that they would use a reliable builder.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Most LBS mechanics can build perfectly good wheels. Finding someone who is given the time to do it properly and builds systematically with a tensiometer is just as good as using a good "name" like Rowlands. Try Terry's cycles in Yate - I had a fine pair of wheels from them a few years back before I learnt to build my own - or Fred Baker.

Try discussing what you are using them for and specifying the tension you want on the front and drive side rear. If they start blustering they probably give the mechanics 30 mins per wheel and build using "the force" rather than through measuruing the final tension of the spokes.

Usew the double eyelet DT rims btw - they take a bit more tension - 1200N - and hence will give a slightly stronger wheel. I'd use brass nipples too instead of alloy - the latter are more difficult to achieve a decent tension with and are a recipe for long term pain, particularly if you use the wheels in winter.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'm amazed you'll be able to buy the parts for so little when a pair of Tune hubs is £300+ - Posh Bikes will do your build for about £600 and it wouldn't be surprised if Harry Rowland does the build for them. Boutique wheel builds need a high degree of skill - I wouldn't let a LBS mechanic loose on these parts unless they come recommended. Other builders of note include Paul Hewitt, Pete Matthews, Helmut at Sonic Cycles, and Big Al at wheelcraft - none who are in the SW.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sorry, ment hope hubs. Wish tunes were that cheap!
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    edited December 2008
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Boutique wheel builds need a high degree of skill

I don't know what the difference between a "boutique" wheel and any other handbuilt wheel is, but a 28 spoke 2 cross is a 28 spoke 2 cross. Bladed spokes are a PITA to build with but time consuming rather than difficult.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    With national couriers 10 a penny it would be very cheap for delivery, then get them made at a good well known wheel builder. for my two penneth worth, I'd recomend Paul Hewitt in Chorley Lancs

www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk
  • Hi there.

Teach a man to fish, etc, etc.

Buy this book and build it yourself:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-Wheel-J ... 0960723668

Cheers, Andy
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Hi there.

Teach a man to fish, etc, etc.

Buy this book and build it yourself:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-Wheel-J ... 0960723668

Cheers, Andy

Another vote for trying it yourself. A bit of expence getting the proper tools but very satisfying in the end. Buy the book, truing stand, dishing tool, tension meter, and spoke wrenches and give it a shot. Don't try anything fancy at first(32 - 3X - on an older set of
    wheels). See how it goes. I think you will be suprised.

Dennis Noward