FSA orbit XLII help

lordmerchant
lordmerchant Posts: 378
edited December 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
hi guys, decided to check my headset bearings tody, top set were fine but the bottom set were buggered, got a nice crtridge bearing, popper it in but there seems to be a big gap between the bottom of the lower bearing cup nd crown race. On closer inspection it appears the original bottom bearing is not cartridge bearingm but the older stlye (forgot name) I checked the FSA orbit II specs and it does say it should take a cartridge. nyone have experience with the FSA orbit XLII??

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it should be cartridge.

im0004244gr.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, funnily enough I just fitted one yesterday, as cartridgey as they get.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I must just be being blond, anybody got a close up photo of a fitted one?
  • nicklouse
    take a pic of yours :wink:

im0004573qi.jpg

best i can do now.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • hmm problem with mine is that the bearing does not sit flush with fork when it is in the crown race, it looks to be smaller than the previous bearing, but it is 1 1/8 s is my steerer (rockshox reba tem)
  • nicklouse
    it could be the wrong angles on it.

what colour is the seal? what was the colour of the old seal?
  • the old seal was red - exactly as on your photograph, the seals on new bearings are black - im pretty sure im correct in sying the new bearings should fit inside the silver ring (1st item in your photo) but they dont.....
  • nicklouse
    you could have the wrong ones as internal angle on the bearing could be different.

I dont have the info to hand ( in the wrong country) but will have a google in the next few days.

Do you have the top bearing? it is the same as the bottom. fit it to the bottom cup and see how it sits. if OK then you will have to see what you can find.

Or see if you can find a crown race that will work with the new bearings and then get them swapped over on the fork if not split ring type.
  • hmm top and bottom bearings are different also!! lol is that even possible?
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Replaced the bearing on my Orbit XL 2 headset the other week. These are the bearings that you need....

http://www.rushcycles.co.uk/products.ph ... 3444&rs=gb

As it says, the lower bearing is larger than the upper bearing!

Have you fitted a top bearing in the bottom cup?

Have you got the bearing facing the correct way up?

Stu
  • had another look in the light of day, the bottom bering is larger than the top, not sure of size up from 1 1/8 is it 1.5

looks like this headset was installed as my steerer tube on my rebas fattens out at the bottom and is too big for a 1/18

thanks for the link stu 74 will order these puppies up