Fox Float in freezing temps.

Steve I
Steve I Posts: 428
edited December 2008 in MTB general
I got my fox float shock rebuilt for a pricey £85 a couple of months ago. I've put off riding the bike during the recent freezing weather because I've heard that riding in freezing temperatures can cause the oil and nitrogen to mix causing a permanent squishing noise and resultant lack of damping. Is there any truth in this?

Comments

• Mattbot2
    Mattbot2 Posts: 384
    Not sure, but I found even my coil forks a bit stiff this morning.
    2q2kfno.png
    ^^^ Click for pictures of my bike ^^
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Steve I
    someone might have had a problem with the float that happened in the cold.

But the cold will not cause problems, Or if it did i would not be doing any riding until april/may when Sweden warms up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • never experienced and problem with cold forks,shox having ridden in -5 deg plus wind chill!!! however the same cannot be said for my cycle computer which lasted for all of 30 secs yesterday!!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Had some problems with my Fox Talas forks recently in the cold, -5 plus windchill, which I think was down to the cold. Travel adjust kept winding down by itself. They had just been serviced and we think a combination of too much grease and the cold thickening up the grease around the ball bearing in the top of the left hand fork leg meant the ball bearing wasn't locating firmly in the indents. The guy in my LBS (who is very good with this sort of stuff) also said he'd had problems with I think it was Rockshox Recons the week before in the cold.

However Nick does make a very convincing point about riding in the cold, if anyone has experience of it it's going to be him :( .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    Thanks for the responses guys. To hell with worrying about the shock, I'm just going to get out and ride while it's fast and dry, albeit frozen.