Problem with my rear brake

cheltpete
cheltpete Posts: 5
edited December 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Afternoon!

I have a problem with my rear hydraulic Haynes 9 brake, and was wondering if anybody could offer me some advice. My rear disc was rubbing a lot against the pads, so much so that it would stop pretty quickly after a few turns on the pedals.

I decided that the caliper needed to be re-aligned and began by making sure that the piston was pushed back into its bore, but before I did that I rather stupidly pressed the lever a few times. :x

The bite point of the pads is pretty much near the grips on the handlebars now and a little bit of oil has developed around the piston on the bleed nipple side. Is this a normal when the brake has been pumped with nothing to stop the piston, or have I cause a larger problem for myself?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It's normal. The pistons are self centering to take into account pad wear. You'll need to push the pistons back into the caliper (big screwdriver between the pads and wiggle carefully, probably shag the pads but keep them for future wiggling).

You may need to bleed the system as well as there may not be enough brake fluid in the system. If the seal on the piston came out further than the caliper body you will have lost fluid which will explain the bite point problems. So they aren't broken but tyo will ahve to bleed them which could be a pain.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result