Intermittent STX shifter problem

whywontyoulisten
whywontyoulisten Posts: 15
edited January 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm having a problem with the STX-RC shifters on my trusty '99 Trek, particularly the left one. For some reason, while I can shift from the small to the middle ring easily, often I find myself flicking the shifter uselessly when trying to change into the big ring. The confusing part is that it only does this every now and then, and after a few minutes of waving my thumb around, it'll change as strongly and smoothly as it used to. Annoyingly, the right hand shifter has started doing the same thing, although very rarely (seems to only be on very cold days!!!).

The bike is getting on a bit, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised if components are starting to wear out, but the way it works one minute, and doesn't the next, has left me mildly flummoxed. Anyone else had similar problems? :?

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Afraid not, the 97 version on my old Giant Terrago are still working fine. Might be worth slipping them out of their casings and giving the inards a good clean and relube. might be some foreign muck floating aorund inside? Annoyingly I am having problems with an XT shifter which is only a couple of months old doing something similar :evil: . Going to strip in tomorrow and take a peek.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    For something that old - have a look on http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

There will def be someone on there that will help or have an old spare or something!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like the ratchet is missing when you try and shift.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Might be a case of the crap over the years has built up on the ratchet mechanism and giving the problem. Either way a case for new cables inner and outer. Spray some degreaser into the lever and leave to work then do some more and leave again then do some GT85 or similar and hope this works.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Cheers guys, degreaser did the trick!