Cunego to form alliance with Gibo...

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2009 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I love the way be says 'we climbers' which is an ace, subtle put down. Not that damiano can climb, tho!

Strava is not Zen.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Almost sounds like Pro Wrestling hype.

Dennis Noward
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    There was talk in past years of climbers trying to take on Indurain. Of course it never worked. You won't see Simoni saying "sure Damiano, I'll put in a suicide attack now and you sail off to the win later", they are still rivals.

Besides I thought they hated each other after Cunego "stole" the 2004 Giro from his team leader Simoni?
  • Gibocune--310x210.jpg
    "Il Piccolo Bastardo and his Dad."

No way. They will fall out half way through the cunning plan, just as soon as one of them drops out of contention.

The only rational I can find for Gibo forming anything other than a right hook, with Cunego, is that he's still steaming after ET Basso rode him off his wheel into Aprica, after sitting on Simoni's for the 20 odd kms of downhill.

Ironically, I re-watched that stage, just the other day and Iain's mate didn't do a tap from the 35km banner, until just before the 10.
    Hell hath no fury, like a Gibo scorned...
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Its great, we'll now have cyclings own version of the prisoners dilemma to enjoy. The fun bit will be watching to see who betrays the other fastest. Gibo will probably wait until Cunego most needs help and motor on up the climb, and then claim that he was just softening up everyone for Cunego's counter.
  • iainf72
    Neither Simoni or Cunego are going to challenge though in reality, are they? Basso will have a strong squadra around him, Di Luca will have his army of robots, Sastre will be able to climb with the best, LA who knows. No Contador, Sella or Ricco so they dynamics will be different.

Remember Gibo claiming Basso offered him money. But as it turns out he didn't.
    -
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    Neither Simoni or Cunego are going to challenge though in reality, are they? Basso will have a strong squadra around him, Di Luca will have his army of robots, Sastre will be able to climb with the best, LA who knows. No Contador, Sella or Ricco so they dynamics will be different.

-

Cunego may say he will be challenging for GC but for me he would be better going for stage wins, he seems to have some really terrible days in the high mountains during three week tours. He is a rider i have lot of time for tho it would be good if he coulld challenge Basso et al but i just dont see it.

MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    Moray Gub wrote:

Cunego may say he will be challenging for GC but for me he would be better going for stage wins, he seems to have some really terrible days in the high mountains during three week tours. He is a rider i have lot of time for tho it would be good if he coulld challenge Basso et al but i just dont see it.

Completely agree. He could win a few of the less severe stages but he's becoming more Bettini like than a GT rider.

His ride in Lombardy was one of my favourites this year. Him and Valverde seem to be the men for hilly classics these days.
  • Grimone
    Grimone Posts: 95
    iainf72 wrote:

-

It depends whether Roche Pharmaceuticals develop 4th gen EPO or not before the grand tours. Then i think maybe Cunego or Simoni will challenge.
    Don't rake up my mistakes, i know exactly what they are.