Rockshox Tora - which one?

L 11OBS
L 11OBS Posts: 29
edited December 2008 in MTB buying advice
Looking at budget forks as I'm trying to replace/service all parts of my newly acquired NRS which currently wears a set of 'Judy's' I'm told the Tora is a good budget option, do I go for this

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=18 at £100

or pay another £50 for this

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=18 with U-Turn

or pay £140 for the air shock version

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=18

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Giant NRS - For getting dirty

Trek 1.2 T - For being on the smooth

Comments

• Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    You've come to the right place - I'm sure Suprersonic will be along shortly to sort you out.

I'd go for a secondhand Reba instead myself, but I got a Tora on a secondhand bike I picked up recently and it wasn't too bad at all.
  • honestly the latter option if it was me. As someone who's used judy's and understands being on a budget then it's a good choice for that if you're only interested in brand new. If of course you're willing to settle for second hand, then chaka ping's advice is very relevant :)
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I would go for the last one. The air one.
  • are the air ones worth the extra money cos i hate it when you try to go for a ride with coil and oil when its cold and they just don't work
    Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    One the 318 you have Motion Control wich I think it's worth the extra money, and it's lighter.

No experience on air forks in cold weather, but yes my coil ones today were very stiff.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Do you have disc brakes? It's worth noting that the air fork you linked to will NOT work with v-brakes as it doesn't have the correct bosses.

How much travel do you currently have?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Air 318 are the best there, and the ones I would get brakes permitting. Motion control, alu steerer and tbutted upper legs.

Yukon Lad, elastomer froks tend to get harder in the cold, coil ones don't, and these forks use the same oil damper whether coil or air!
  • thats annoying then because my forks completley locked up no matter what i did and then i decided i'd check so i poured some warm water on them and they worked fine

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • Running disc brakes, will have a look round for a second hand set of reba, failing that I'll go for the air tora - thanks all
    Giant NRS - For getting dirty

Trek 1.2 T - For being on the smooth
  • The cold weather can affect the oil in your shocks, thickens it up, says so in the RS manual.
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Yeah I tend to have to speed up the rebound on mine till the oil warms up.