Helmets

dicksy
dicksy Posts: 15
edited December 2008 in Workshop
I am just in the process of buying myself a new road helmet.

I currently own a Giro Pneumo which is badged as an L/XL (60-64cm).

A few days before Xmas I ordered myself a Giro Atmos in large assuming this would fit as it is the same make and incorporates the same RocLoc fitting system.

Unfortunately I am blessed with a rather large nut so often struggle with getting hats/helmets to fit.

Upon receiving the Atmos I promptly tried it on expecting it to fit as it is the largest size Giro offer - it didn't!!!

I've checked Giro's website and large 59-63cm is the biggest size they do.

Can anyone advise if other makes come up with any bigger sizes. I like the look of both the Bell Sweep and Volt and would be interested to know how they compare on the size stakes to Giro.

Trying not to panic :roll: !!

Cheers!

Comments

• I like the look of both the Bell Sweep and Volt

can't ever imagine that I would like the look of a helmet ???
  • Doom
    Doom Posts: 133
    DICKSY wrote:
    I promptly tried it on expecting it to fit as it is the largest size Giro offer - it didn't!!!

This may sound silly but have you tried the full rage of the adjustment? I am normally a medium and went through the same process as you with the Ionos. The roc loc system actually takes a bit of effort to release at the back.

The same company who owns Giro owns Bell so you may have the same size issue if it truly doesn't fit.

Good luck!!
    FCN: 4
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    I too have rather a large bonce - 63cm :oops: Thick skull rather than a big brain though!

I used to have a MET Testagrossa which is meant for larger heads. I have just bought a Large Giro Ionos and that is supposed to go up to 63cm and it also fits fine. I would agree though that your choices are more limited. There was a website I found which listed helmets for larger heads but I think it was a little out of date. Can't find it at the moment though.

Hope this helps.

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • dicksy
    Thanks for the replies guys.

To be honest I must admit I only plonked the helmet on and when it didn't fit I popped it back in the box and returned it.

I compared it to my Pneumo and you could see the difference in shell size. How adjustable is the roc loc then and how do you do it?
  • pbracing
    pbracing Posts: 231
    The roc loc is very adjustable (like most), you just push the adjuster in to tighten it on the ratchet, and ease the pressure on the little catches to release. Easy as. (Like a releasable cable tie). I've got a 61cm nut and my Giro Monza fits great with the roc loc tightened in a bit.

Is a hair cut out of the question? I could lose 2cm if I had one :lol:
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... /Trek1.jpg

Wet winter days & going the shops runaround
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... rello1.jpg
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Just purchased a Medium Volt, having had a Medium Pneumo.

Fits well, TBH had the Volt set up in less than a minute out of the box. The dial is good, and you can adjust how far below the 'notch' on the back of your head that the retention sustem sits.

The Volt is slightly larger internally I'd say - slightly wider, as head plus windproof skull cap fit more comfortably in the Volt. Externally, the Volt appears smaller - less 'mushroom head'....

I took the plunge and ordered on line (£99 delivered)- might be best a trip to a stockist (if you can find an LBS with them)....
  • dicksy
    Thanks for the info guys.

Not only do I have a big bonce but I'm slowly becoming folically challenged!!!

My hair is pretty short so I can't even resort to looking at that option (unless I get the bic out!!)

I'm now kicking myllef as to whether or not I messed around with the roc loc enough.

Interesting re the Bell Volt though as this could be an alternative option.
  • Doom
    Doom Posts: 133
    I am a Giro fan as they just fit and feel very secure for my money. Go to a shop and try and the larges of all the brands on and play with the fitting as I struggle to believe the large adjusted out wouldn't fit you.

Buy the one that fits best.

Good luck
    FCN: 4
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    If you don't already know, Met says their Predatore helmets are designed for larger heads, it might be the sucessor of the Testagrossa? I have a small head (small brain? :roll: ) so I can't really say much more but hope this helps.