BB axle length question

wordnumb
wordnumb Posts: 847
edited December 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
My new cranks arrived from ebayland packaged with a new BB, only problem being that it has a 121mm axle and I use a 118mm. Is it worth adjusting the front mech to accommodate the extra 3mm or will this cause problems? *

BB is an octalink es51, bike is a 2005 Stumpy.

* This is a theoretical question as I don't need to replace the BB at the moment and I have a spare 118mm for when I do.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The correct BB depends on the design of the chainset - it may well be that the new chainset and BB will be in the same position as the old one! For a given chainline.

Some require 110mm, some 130mm, totally depends on the spider design. You will probably need to twealk the mech anyway.
  • wordnumb
    Crankset is exactly the same so it's going to throw the chain line out by 1.5mm. Probably.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is it an LX? Maybe your frame requires a slightly shorter chainline.

I have an LX M542 crank and 118mm BB on my Zaskar. I had to file the small chainring as it fouled the frame! Should have used a 121 lol.

Sounds like either would be fine for you. As long as don't use a 113 or 127 lol, you are in the ball park but just shows can still have probs like I did.
  • wordnumb
    supersonic wrote:
    you are in the ball park

In that case I'll chuck it on and see what happens. Ta.