grading trails

jadamson
jadamson Posts: 644
edited December 2008 in MTB general
does anyone know how the gradings of trails work?!? like blue,green,black etc. for 2 reasons...mainly i will be able to judge the trail before i ride so i don't try anything too hard like i did today(although it was funny and very fun) and also so i can grade my local trails in my local woods that we built. thank a lot for any help.

Comments

• gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    The normal rules are...
    Green is Family, Blue is Intermediate, Red is Difficult, and Black is Severe.

But it changes between centres, e.g. Brechfa Black run is much harder than Llandegla Black, which is as easy as most red courses.
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    cool cheers but how would you know how to grade? for example your own trails.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    By comparison really. And bearing in mind that trails tend to be graded on their toughest features, not their average, there are stretches of blue at GT that are less challenging than their green run, but it's the technical parts that raise the level to blue.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I'd avoid grading trails unless you know exactly what you're doing. Riding in Whistler over summer, their graded trails are exactly what they say they are but I know from skiing some crappy resorts that when people get it wrong, it can be really dangerous. I did a red run in a ski resort in Austria when I was 14 or so which was, in reality, a definite black. I was okay, but some with me had some serious problems getting down.

I'd argue that if you don't know the difference between the colours, you're probably not yet in a position to judge for yourself. More experience of trail centres should help.
  • Bromski
    Bromski Posts: 239
    I think there are some rules laid down by the IMBA based on lots of variables - you can end up with red grade trails that are easy technically, but include lots of climbing, for example

http://www.imba.org.uk/index.php?page=WheretoRide_TrailGrades
  • Red = Fun, Challenging and usually easy enough for most fairly capable riders.
    Black = Not usually as fun as red, usually longer, normally have tougher sections in (bigger drop usually have bypass routes). Never ridden a full black myself, but have incorperated sections into a ride.

Never ridden anything under a red :)
  • I find that if you don't know a trail get someone that does to ride infront of you and stop to explain what's coming up.

I've been on some black and this is by far the easiest way to do it. safest too.
    mmm!