mudgaurds to protect new frame?

Reeco
Reeco Posts: 86
edited December 2008 in MTB general
i have recently got a specilaized 09 hardrock, but i have noticed that stones flick up and hit the botom of the frame, at the moment there is no damage done, but i obviously dont want any damage done, i want to get a mudgaurd of some sort to protect my frame preferably a small one, at the moment im currently looking at these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10681 though there not small, i quite like these. do you think these will do the job? if not can you suggest some that will and preferably some smaller ones, im willing to pay up to £20. thank you
"Old Enough To Know Better, Young Enough Not To Care"

Specialized Hardrock 09
wethepeople Reason 08

Comments

• I have a Crud catcher on the front of my Giant Trance thos works in terms of stone chip protection and keeping the mud off. you can also buy frame protector sheets if you don't want the guard :)
  • Reeco
    thank you very much i have just had a look at protector sheets and they are looking like a prefered and cheaper option, thanks again :D

Specialized Hardrock 09
    wethepeople Reason 08
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    This stuff should do the trick:-

http://www.justridingalong.com/shop.php ... product=73

Have used it on my bike. Its tough, easy to fit and you won't notice it on the bike unless you are you looking for it!

Stu
  • Reeco
    awesome :D thanx for your help i realy apreciate it, i was worrying about some of the other protector sheets because they seem to come in pre cut sheets meaning some of the patches didnt look big enough.

Specialized Hardrock 09
    wethepeople Reason 08
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    Off road riding is pretty tough on a bike, and It won't stay looking brand new for that all long. Even if it does stay looking new it'll generally be covered in crap most of the time, so a few small stone chips won't really be noticeable until you wash it.

If you do use tape to protect the frame, be careful if you remove it, it can pull the paint off which is a lot more unsightly than stone chips.
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    edited December 2008
    i use a front crud catcher, i haven't been riding since i got it cos its been all frozen and black ice on the trails but it does help keep the crap off your face and protect the frame and it looks sturdy enough and may be better than tape, even if its more expensive, would you rather spend 7 quid on a new mudguard or put a dent in your frame and weaken it?

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • Helicopter tape is great stuff- I've got a few bits on my bike, works a treat.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3