New XT hubs, tight/no play...

Jimbo.
Jimbo. Posts: 124
edited December 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Please excuse the crap thread title! I have recently taken delivery of some new wheels with XT hubs. Having read up on servicing (just researching in readiness!), it seems that there should be the smallest amount of lateral play in t' hub with everything tigthened and the wheel ready to be fitted to the bike. However, the hubs I have are tight, with no play at all. They spin freely enough, but still, no play, and it's got me a' thinkin': would it be prudent to loosen them off just a fraction prior to using them in anger?

Merci bucket!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, it would prolong the life of them, but we are talking about a minute amount - an amount that may well become apparent after they have bedded in a bit.
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    I'd leave them just as they are as they will almost certainly bed in during your first ride. I read the same article about just leaving a little slack and found that every time I tried to service them the suggested way I ended adjusting them again within an hour of riding. It's hard to say what just a tiny bit of slack is!