-A

rollingthunder
rollingthunder Posts: 109
edited January 2009 in Workshop
-A

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Look for a proper road bike. Hybrids and flat bars aren't very good.

Perhaps look at the Boardman range of Road bikes in Halfords, I think you should be able to get one within budget.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    I had a budget of £500-700 and the best I could find was this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25459 My only reserve was buying a bike on-line! but I have been assured that they do refund if it doesn't fit/suit me, so nothing ventured nothing gained I'm just waiting for it to arrive :) And the wife is amazed that I have actually bought a bike at the lower end of my budget for once! I did however assure her that I had already spent the left over cash before she got any plans for it :)
  • Thanks for the advice. Reddragon, why aren't flat bars of Hybrids any good? I'd heard that the Trek FX range is very good and almost have road bike speed but with more comfort. I'll check out Boardman at Halfords (I bought my son's bike there and neither it nor the after sales was too good). Mark_K, I'll check out your chainreaction cycles advice. I do have a very understanding wife, so I'm blessed in that respect, though I admit to trying to sneak accessories etc into our place without her knowing! Little success so far! Thankd again guys.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    it's not so much that hybirds "aren't any good" - it;s just that you will want a proper road bike within no time at all - we have seen it all a lot on this forum!

hybirds give no real advantage - they still can't go offroad and the flat bars limit you to a single hand position - where drop bars give you a lot more options and this adds comfort over a longer haul!
  • Gkerr, thanks for that. As anewbie who's only really ever had experience of mtb's, I suppose I've suspicions of road bikes/drop bars, esecially for guys my size and weight. I'm tall and rugby player built, and those roadbikes do look flimsy! Any suggestions for my meagre budget?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    For about 775 quid you can get a Specialized Tricross Sport Triple. Very nice. I'm 6 foot 1 and 180lbs and I can go quickon mine! It has mudguard and pannier attachments. Can be a road bike, tourer, commuter and cyclocross.
    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Thanks Pottssteve, I'd thought about that bike but I really am limited to between £500-£600. If I spend £775, I'll be sleeping onnthe couch for 775 nights! Thanks for your advice, and let me know if you've any other ideas.
  • Doom
    Doom Posts: 133
    I would do what you can to stretch your budget. I know that's not what you want to hear but bear in mind that the bike will easily last you 5-10years with a bit of TLC which when you factor the cost over the period means its not that expensive.

Getting into cycling or getting a new bike is expensive but if you think how long the bike will be with you you will want to get the best you can afford.

Look for end of year specials as well as its a great way to get more bike for your money.

If I were you I would look at the Cube range and Focus range as they tend to represent the best VFM bikes.

Good luck with the hunt.
    FCN: 4
  • How does 660 nights on the sofa sound instead? :D
    http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... rtno=33607
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Doom and Nitrous Oxide! Thanks for the tip. 660 nights on the sofa I might just be able to swing with plenty of smarming up. You're right about it being a long term investment. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. If you think of anything else, let me know. Thanks again.
  • i am not sure where you are based, but check your LBS for 2008 models.

Royles in Wilmslow currently has a Trek 1.2 '08 model reduced from £499 to £374, and Harry Hall in m'cr city centre has the same model at £450 (different frame sizes though - 52cm vs 56)
  • Sportbilly '76 thanks for your advice. I'm down in East London, but for the right price it's worth my while goin somewhere on the train. I've got mates in Manchester that need visiting! Size might be a problem though. I've just come froma shop where I sat on a Specialized Tricross 61cm (way outside my budget at almost £800)which felt good sizewise. My current bike, a Trek MTB is 22.5", so 54/65cm would probably be too small. However, I'll call them and see what's going on. Thanks again.
  • wilwil
    wilwil Posts: 374
    Thanks Pottssteve, I'd thought about that bike but I really am limited to between £500-£600. If I spend £775, I'll be sleeping onnthe couch for 775 nights! Thanks for your advice, and let me know if you've any other ideas.

You can get an 08 Specialized Allez for that kind of money. There is an '07 brand new, size 56, triple chainset at Wildside in Kent. But you can't buy it on line they may send it to you though.
  • Wilwil, thanksfor that but I fear that it might be too small for a big lump like myself. I'll call and ask if they've any 61cm in stock. Thanks again.
  • rollingthunder
    rollingthunder Posts: 109
    edited December 2008
    Does anyone know of a large store where they are doign a good sale on Tricross or Road Bikes?
  • I'm looking for my first road bike for fitness purposes. For 6 months I've been on an MTB with slicks, and now I'd like to go up one level. 25 miles on an mtb isn't that comfortable for a big man. I went into a store and sat on a 61cm Specialized Tricross Sport. It felt good! I'm going to test ride it this weekend (after I've said goodbye to my trusty Trek MTB - it's being bought from me...goodbye old gal). Someone has warned me off the tricross' cantilever brakes (The Specialized Tricross sport is fitted with these). Is there any truth to his saying they aren't any good. I'll not be going off road on this bike, except to hit the odd light trail/path or cut across a farmers field! However I'm 6'3" tall and weigh nearly 100kg (ex-rugby man who went mad with the weights!) and a Specialized Allez or comparable road bike looks a little flimsy. We will probably be moving to France, the south or near the Swiss border, this summer and I'd like to take it with me. There are lots of climbs and amazing rides out there. Can anyone advise me on the brakes and bike alternatives. I've had alot of good advice so far. My mind is more than half made up on the bike, but more experinced would be appreciated.
  • Rollingthunder

Which model yr are you trying/looking at from the bike shop?

The 2008 tricross sport has cantis

The 2009 tricross sport has v-brakes I also think that all three tricross models now have v-brakes fitted.
  • Thanks Bornagain, If that's the case then I was looking at the '08. Is there a problem with cantilevers? They looked a little odd, probably because I'm not used to them. Have you any advice on bikes? Is your name a reference to you beliefs or the fact that you're back in the saddle after a long break, or both?
  • :lol: Never thought of my username like that! DEFINATELY not the religious way.

If you do a google on tricross brake judder , it seems that the cantis could under certain conditions create a fork judder. It looks to me that they wholesale swapped over to v-brakes to eliminate any chance of this happening.

Cantis are good brakes when set up properly but can need a fair bit more fettling to keep them that way. V- brakes are IMHO better, easier to set up and provide more power for less effort.

I've just (tues) bought a tricross single from pearson cycles (£275) and having had a little play with it I really like it :P smooth ride/good brakes/ not to hard going on the hills round here either. It gave me a better workout on a quick 3 mile hilly circuit than a 10 mile with a geared bike.
  • Thanks for that Bornagain. I will definately go for the V brake ('09) model. I'd seen some posts talking about the judder, but giving the bike the thumbs up anyway. Thanks fro your help. Let me know if anything else springs to mind.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Hello again,
    Just to let you know, my Specialized Tricross is a 2009 model and has "forged linear pull brakes with cartridge pads" fitted front and rear. It actually has 2 sets of brakes - the "standard" type on the drops and then a second set on the bars which Specialized recommend just for control, not heavy braking. These are quite useful but do mean you've not got much handlebar space to mount lights - I've now got my front light on my helmet! Mine is the USA model as it was imported to HK so the UK version might be different.

The brakes seem to work quite well, although I've not got much to compare them with, road bike wise. I've been riding an mtb with disc brakes, and I think these (the disc brakes) were a bit sharper. However, I've come down some fairly steep hills and not had any judder (yet!).

I'm glad I've gone for the tricross - it's far more versatile than a road bike. I've had a ride on a Specialized Tarmac and a Cannondale - very nice and light but I don't think I'm built for it (80kgs!). The tricross is heavier (about 23lbs) but feels reassuringly solid while being easily light enough for me to carry up the 3 flights of stairs to where I live. Having a triple is also helpful for hauling my arse up the hills... :wink:
    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Pottssteve, thanks for your help. That's actually reassured me and clinches the decision. I'm sure that I can get the exra brakes fitted if the model isn't a USA. The judder thing would seem to be down to having the brakes fitted/aligned properly. I'll be test riding the Tricross Sport this Saturday, so I'm excited...like a little kid. My missus finds it all very odd! Thanks again for all your help.
  • I know that feeling! I can't understand why women get all excited by handbags and shoes!!!!
    I mean do you REALLY need 5 handbags?!

I get it in the neck for having 3 bikes ("but you can only ride them one at a time") they all serve a different purpose Commuter/Long Distance/Offroad.

They just don't understand. :shock: